Author Topic: Hurricane Cheddar  (Read 1160 times)

Mousetrap

Hurricane Cheddar
« on: August 28, 2011, 01:22:42 AM »
 I figured today was a good day to make a cheddar to placate hurricane Irene.  Somewhere near the very end of the cheddaring process the thermostate between my ears got stuck and I left the heat on.  Temp was 138 when I discovered it.  I think I discovered a new way to make latex.   It bounces like a superball. 

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Hurricane Cheddar
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 01:54:17 AM »
Sounds like a dry cheddar but should still be very eddible!

Mousetrap

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 02:24:08 AM »
I'm not sure.  I like a dry cheddar but I was so close to pasturization temp that I think I killed off the culture. 

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 03:23:33 AM »
Welcome, hope you weren't one of the 2 million forced to evacuate, so far looks like over kill, good luck, with storm and cheese.

Tomer1

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 11:20:46 AM »
To make up for killing the lactic bacteria which is responsible for ripening,not just acidification I would use some kind of rind treatment to develope some flavour, perhaps washing the rind.

Mousetrap

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 04:40:51 PM »
- Thanks John, Irene didn't do much where I am, but we have a house in Avon, NC and I'm afraid the cheese will be ripe before I'll be able to deliver it to our friends there that stayed and rode it out.  So far still no Electricity, Phone, Cell or Water.  :-\  Mosquitoes must be the size of dragon flies by now.
- Tomer1 that's what I plan on doing,  It will be interesting.  I put it in the press and will give it a wash several times during aging.  I don't expect much but I'm curious to see what happens.  Before the mold it was really springy mozzarella that 'squeaked' when chewed.