Author Topic: Pepper Swiss anyone?  (Read 6689 times)

Likesspace

Re: Pepper Swiss anyone?
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 11:47:23 PM »
Tea,
I would love to try adding cream to my recipe but unfortunately the only cream we can buy is Ultra pasteurized whipping cream. I have used it in the past but it makes for a really inferior curd set and also seems to add to the dry and crumbly texture I've seen on all of my Jack attempts.
Do you think something like half and half would work as well as cream? I've never really looked at it, but it might not be ultra pasteurized.
I've enjoyed your posts on the jack you've made and am always envious of how nice and smooth it appears.
If you have any other suggestions I'd really like to hear them.

Dave

Tea

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 08:34:29 PM »
You can't get fresh cream?  Really!! Well I guess if the Half and Half is not ultra, then I would use that.  That is a product that we don't have here is Aussie, but I can't see why it wouldn't be worth giving a go.  I probably wouldn't use all H&H, just substitute in a few pints, depending of how large your batch is going to be.

Personally I have found the jack recipe here one of the easiest to make.  I have waxed them, oil aged them, and now I am trying a brine/oil rind.

goatherdess

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 10:53:17 PM »
It's true Tea, you can't buy cream here. I've been searching myself. I have goat milk from our goats, but no cream separator ($300), so have been looking for cream. Half and half won't work; it's filled with carrageenan, other stabilizers, chemicals, modified food starch and BHT and other preservatives. I'm hoping to find a small private dairy that can sell me some cream, but if not, it's a separator purchase for me in the future, I think.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 12:29:15 AM »
Does goats milk not separate naturally like cows milk?

FarmerJd

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 12:58:19 AM »
No, you have to manually separate it. I would really like to have a separator myself just for my cows milk though. It would sure simplify things.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 01:31:48 AM »
Interesting ... goats milk is truely a different beast. Does sheeps milk separate or is it only cows milk that does that? I am becoming very fastinated with goats. Who knew? I never knew goats could be so useful. As I said eariler everyone I knew that had "A goat" used them only for weed control. I guess they didn't know either.

FarmerJd

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 04:03:55 AM »
Only cow's milk according to what I have read. No personal experience although my border collies would love to herd them instead of cows. :)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 04:17:07 AM »
LOL We had shepard/sheltie mixes when I was growing up and they did really well with the cows - it's the goat they had a problem with!

siegfriedw

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2009, 12:20:05 AM »
If you leave goats milk in the fridge for 4-5 days or maybe a week it will separate and you can skim the cream off the top - but to get any volume a cream separator is definitely the way to go.

goatherdess

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2009, 12:32:46 AM »
I never let the goat milk go over 5 days - it gets goaty after that. At 4 days (the last day I'll drink it), you can get just 1-2 teaspoons off the top of a 1 quart jar. It's great for dumping in my morning tea that way, but not enough to make butter or add to a recipe.