Author Topic: My order finally arrived!  (Read 2377 times)

bigfish_oz

My order finally arrived!
« on: August 29, 2011, 02:31:33 AM »
Well, it took over three weeks but my order from New England Cheesemaking finally arrived. I think the delay was caused by the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service (AQIS) having a bit of a dig through it. I assume the ash or the cultures ( or both) flagged as organic on the screening x-ray, hence the need for them to open the package. (all parcels arriving via mail into Australia are x-rayed by Customs and/or AQIS)

Quite a few moulds that are hard to find in Australia. I'm particularly glad to have received my tome moulds and my jar of ash.

And the Camembert (my first and from Ricki's book) is halfway through sitting after adding the rennet.

Yay for me!

Cheese Head

Re: My order finally arrived!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 02:48:09 AM »
Good news, I remember flying into perth with my family, wow but the rules on what you could bring in were strict, we had to gobble all the beef jerkey in sealed bags while waiting in line . . . congrats.

bigfish_oz

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 03:01:13 AM »
John,

Being an island continent has it's advantages in terms of introduced pathogens and other associated nasties. We've just had our Fire Blight free status put at risk by the WTO who have ruled (after years of legal battles) that we have no right to enforce our strict quarantine rules against apples from New Zealand and China, both countries being afflicted by the virus.

That's why we don't have rabies and are the only "disease free" source of Atlantic Salmon.

There's lots of downsides to globalization, especially for smaller economies.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 10:06:46 PM »
Good on you Bigfish, I thought about ordering some cultures from them but doubtfull of its arriaval here. One of my friend ordered jamaican blue coffee beans, roasted, along with a 250g of another ground coffee, he only received ground one not the whole beans.

Yeah, it is way too sterile though.

I tried a wild sourdough and didn't get anything going when I first tried. I had to bump it up with kefir and commercial yeast.