Author Topic: Goat Caerphilly  (Read 3174 times)

darius

Goat Caerphilly
« on: August 29, 2011, 07:52:13 PM »
I finally have access to fresh goat milk (Nubian) and decided to play with it to make Caerphilly, using the recipe below with a slight change. After draining the curds, I milled and salted them like a modified recipe from Tim Smith.
 http://cheesemakinghelp.blogspot.com/2011/05/caerphilly-with-suzanne-mcminn.html
The modified Tim Smith's recipe:
http://www.greeningofgavin.com/2009/07/caerphilly-cheese.html

I've made 3 batches of 2 gallons goat milk each in the last 2 weeks (throwing one out when it didn't set curds), and I'm anxious to see how they taste at 3-4 weeks.

Since I've made several Caerphilly's with P/H bovine milk but none using this recipe, I decided to do one with this same recipe to compare to the goat version. I did make one minor adjustment from the goat version... the P/H milk I get is 100% Jersey, but the BF has been cut to around 3.2% so I decided to add some fresh cream. To 2 gallons of P/H milk, I added about 2/3 of an opened pint jar of cream I use for my coffee. I forgot I was using P/H milk so I didn't add CaCl and the pressed wheel is a little softer than the first few I made.

Weight after pressing overnight, 1258g (2.77 lbs). I don't have a good method of pressing yet, just weights piled on a board... nor any decent molds.

It will be interesting to see what this actually makes!

JeffHamm

Re: Goat Caerphilly
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 08:54:20 PM »
Looking forward to hearing how this turns out!  I've recently obtained the 200 homemade cheese book, and noted the difference in the caerphilly recipe.  I'll probably try one following those instructions this weekend, if I have the time.  It's funny, I've seen everyone indicating that it's pronounced "CAR-Filly", but on the web I found a pronouniation site which seemed to indicate it's pronounced "car-FILLY", with the accent more on the "FIIL" side than the CAR side.  For the longest time, I kept saying it more like "carefully" than either CAR-filly or car-FILLY.  Anyway, however you pronounce it, I think it's a great cheese, especially for those just starting to try out pressed cheese.  It ages quick enough that you can tweak your skills, which is something that really helps bring confidence when making something that requires more aging time.  Also, you can get a couple of these ready to eat while you age those other ones.

Anyway, don't forget to show us some photos of the goat caerphillies.  I've not had a chance to play with any goat milk.  The only access I have right now would be to ultra-pasturized stuff. 

- Jeff

p.s. And a cheese for the finding of a supply of goat's milk and trying something new! :)

darius

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 09:43:59 PM »
Jeff, here's the Goat Caerphilly #1 (larger) and #2, just a 1 gallon make.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 09:56:21 PM »
Looks great Darius.

A young Caerphilly is pretty tangy anyway, so this should be pretty sharp made with goats milk.

All of my English customers pronounce it "car-FILLY".

darius

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 10:42:42 PM »
Too bad my grandfather isn't still alive... he was born and raised in Rumney in the South of Wales, and for sure would know the proper Welsh pronunciation!

I skate by saying just "a Welsh miner's cheese" LOL.

JeffHamm

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 03:20:47 AM »
Hi darius,

I'm curious.  Have you tried these yet?  If so, how were they?

- Jeff

darius

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 11:58:46 AM »
Yes, I cut the first 2 a couple of days ago... just been to busy with a remodeling project to post!

They were 3 and 4 weeks old, turned out just fine so far... no bitterness. But then, I didn't notice any bitterness in the bovine Caerphilly at 3-4 weeks either. I gave half of each one to my friend with the goats, and vac-sealed my halves for more aging and the time to enjoy them.

JeffHamm

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 07:00:09 PM »
Good to hear!  How is the taste compared to a bovine caerphilly (a new abbreviation in the works: ABC :0 )? 

- Jeff

darius

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 08:56:09 PM »
Jeff, you need to know I have anosmia (loss of the sense of smell)... not fully, but enough it affects my taste buds.

Having said that, the goat Caerphilly tastes almost the same to me as the bovine... TASTY but maybe a tad more complex!

JeffHamm

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 12:41:42 AM »
Hi darius,

Thanks for that.  It sounds good.  I don't have easy access to any goat's milk, but I know there are places around. 

- Jeff