Chevre - Using A Whisk & Minimal Flavor

Started by billmac, August 31, 2011, 01:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billmac

I made my first chevre last evening, using buttermilk as the starter.  It was nice and firm this morning.  Instead of cutting the curds into chunks with a knife, I inserted a wire whisk into the curd and turned it as I moved it around the pot.  To my admittedly rookie cheese making mind, it seemed to work great.  Does anyone do this?  What's the downside?

Also, a chevre question:  I'm draining the curds today, and will add salt and herbs this evening.  I tasted the raw curd after I cut it this morning.  It was quite bland.  Will it develop more flavor?  I've not eaten much chevre, but some that a friend made (with my goat's milk) was quite tangy.  I think he used a commercial starter and let it drain for two days.

Thanks

mtncheesemaker

I don't cut my curds when making chevre, but just ladle them into molds, kind of in thick slices, with a perforated ladle. I drain them for 24 hours. The whisk might change the texture by breaking up the curd more.
I think draining them longer will increase the "tang", and different starters will also affect the flavor. I often use buttermilk and like the flavor.
Pam

Tomer1

With chevre you want very high moisture so cutting with a whisk is not a good idea,your releasing alot of moisture from the curd.

billmac

It did turn out that the chevre was pretty dry.  I added a little half and half and got the texture back pretty good.

I also found out that a little salt goes a long way.  I thought the yield was really good, so I put 2 tsp of salt in, and it was too much.

george13

My recommendation for the future, is to either laddle into molds, or large cubes into draining bag, as the other folks stated, small releases more whey large maintains.  Salt will also release whey so be aware of the amounts you use.  And yes, too much salt is irreversable.  The longer you allow the curd to remain at room temperature the higher the acidity (the tang).  But carefull with yours, since you added half and half after the acidification process, that milk product may just turn sour, and you may get sick.  All your milk product should be induced to acidification at once with your culture.
Good luck

Boofer

Quote from: billmac on August 31, 2011, 01:28:16 PM
Instead of cutting the curds into chunks with a knife, I inserted a wire whisk into the curd and turned it as I moved it around the pot.  To my admittedly rookie cheese making mind, it seemed to work great.  Does anyone do this?  What's the downside?
Unrelated to Chevre, but applicable to other cheese styles:

Yes, I use a whisk. I cut cubes with a knife, but then after resting the curd, I need to get the curd to smaller pieces and the whisk does the job. I do it gently...I'm not making scrambled eggs or whipped cream. Cutting with the whisk releases whey and is not suitable for cheeses where you want to retain whey (moisture), such as blues, Reblochon, Camembert, etc. I use it when making Colby, Gouda, Beaufort, Tomme, Goutaler, alpine, etc.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

billmac

I tried my second batch of chevre.  I used a knife to cut the curds, drained it a shorter time, and used less salt.  Once it was drained I put it in a food processor with some sundried tomatoes and hot peppers.  It came out great.  The texture was terrific, very smooth and creamy.

Boofer

Quote from: billmac on September 05, 2011, 04:50:03 PM
Once it was drained I put it in a food processor with some sundried tomatoes and hot peppers.  It came out great.  The texture was terrific, very smooth and creamy.
That might just be a first in cheesemaking...using a food processor to cut the curds.  :o

Smooth and creamy? How can it help not being such? Glad it worked out well for you.

Processed cheese....

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

billmac

Well, not exactly.  I cut the curds with a knife and drained it in cheesecloth.  I used the food processor to incorporate the tomatoes and peppers once it was done draining.

I did my next batch tonight.  I split the batch in half and used sundried tomatoes and onion for one half and some sugar and strawberries in the other half.  Both were incorporated with the food processor.  Turned out nice.

Boofer

Quote from: billmac on September 06, 2011, 02:50:31 AM
and some sugar and strawberries in the other half.  Both were incorporated with the food processor.  Turned out nice.
I think I'd stand in line for that.  ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Saltysteele

i just mixed my herbs in by hand.  it is nice to have spots with just cheese, and not herbs.  i'd be afraid of changing the texture with the food processor