Author Topic: DIY cheese\curd stirrer,anyone made one?  (Read 14427 times)

cowboycheese

Re: DIY cheese\curd stirrer,anyone made one?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 09:23:17 PM »
Have you a pic of the revised blades you can share?

Tomer1

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 06:02:33 PM »
I couldnt find the old juicer, must be in the trash. so Im thinking of building one from scratch using a battery powered geared motor (3-10 rpm) ,9v operated.
Any idea what kind of torque I'l need?

Tomer1

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 07:14:17 PM »
Got me an old juicer base , its not as slow as I was hoping for. 
Need to figure out how to make the stirrer part and mount it on the shaft.   I got some 1\8` HDPE sheet on hand.

Chicken man

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 03:22:13 PM »
Hey Tomer!
I am nearly ready to put my stirrer bit together.
I have a friend who has a lathe, and he machined the ss shaft to fit inside a very convenient whole
in the shaft of the juicer.
With a pin fitted at the top of the bit shaft, I made a type of bayonet fitting fitting to hold the bit in the juicer shaft (like an old crank handle for a motor or a car-jack).
Can put up some picks soon so you can see what I've done.
Cheers
Ian

gabanit

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2012, 10:14:34 AM »
Hi Tomer
The best motor for this is a car's wipers, no problem to find one - used or new!
I have 2 curd stirrer made for me with such motor!

Tomer1

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2012, 11:47:07 AM »
How are you powering it? is it 12v DC ?

FarmerJd

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 04:55:58 PM »
I use an ac adapter off an electronic device that converts 120VAC TO 12VDC.

Kaiser Soze

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2012, 08:49:34 AM »
Hey Tomer,

As others have mentioned, car wiper motors and electric window motors are both fantastic for the job. Both operate @ 12V or thereabouts, and both have high torque. As a benefit, wiper motors have dual speeds, fast and slow, so you can choose which works for you. Trawl through some brewing forums if you need any more ideas - some brewers have built motorised mash stirrers and it might give you some idea of how to put together the shaft and blades on the cheap, as well as how to mount it.

Alpkäserei

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2012, 07:25:21 PM »
One thing I have used is a stirrer made from an old windshield wiper motor. It is attached to a board that hooks on to the top of the vat, and is rigged so that it could be easily attached and detached the stirrer portion for washing.

The stirrer itself is a steel shaft on to which two aluminum fins were attached. The fins are not nearly as wide as the whole vat, but are curved in such a way as to draw and push the curd around.

Also, a breaker is hung on one side of the vat and let to hang down into the milk. This is just a flat piece of wood that disturbs the circular motion of the whey and curd so that it won't clump up or get caught in veins and patterns. 

The motor is of course a 12v. motor, it is run off of a car battery. There is no electricity on the Alp anyway.

Chicken man

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2012, 08:36:26 AM »
Well....seems the old Juicer was not the best choice   :(
I have used it about 10 times and it worked fine....until....last time i used it with a cooler heating element, It took longer to pasteurize my milk and the
motor got so hot the drive gear melted!!!
Have an old , small drill press that never gets any use. so i think i'll adapt that.  Just need to slow it down a little with a different pully.
The juicer would work fine for smaller batches and raw milk cheese.  Take about 2 hours to get my milk to 72 degrees C
Ian 

Tomer1

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2012, 03:05:31 PM »
You can also dismantle a microwave motor. it likely runs off 9V rails and it seems powerful enough.

Chicken man

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2012, 11:54:30 AM »
Ok...thanks Tomerl