Author Topic: Chaource - salt first or P. candidum?  (Read 1304 times)

Judi

Chaource - salt first or P. candidum?
« on: August 31, 2011, 07:22:51 PM »
I got hold of some raw milk from the local dairy farm and made it into a chaource-style yesterday - before my P candidum culture had arrived from the suppliers, so I couldn't incorporate it into the milk pre-renneting.  Now I have the cheeses out of the forms and ready to salt, but I also have to dip them in P. candidum.  Which do I do first please?  Any tips for that, and for affinage please?
thanks
Judi

Cheese Head

Re: Chaource - salt first or P. candidum?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 11:46:52 PM »
Hi Judi, welcome.

I haven't made a Chaource but if you click on the column title Subject it will sort all this board's thread alphabetically and then you can scroll down to ones specifically on Chaource, also you can Search just this board on the word Chaource.

That said, cheese needs salt, there are several Wiki Articles on Salt Function, Types, Application Methods etc.

Given that your P candidum hasn't arrived I would salt anyway now as required and then you have two choices, wait for X days and apply your P candidum in a spray bottle or buy some commercial Brie or Camembert now, and mush it down apply it to the rind or via a spray bottle. If you search you'll find some more threads on these subjects.

Judi

Re: Chaource - salt first or P. candidum?
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 05:01:55 PM »
Thanks - I've done the salting now and I have the spores for spraying so will do that tonight.  This is a great forum and there's a lot of cheese wisdom here!