Author Topic: Pressed Cheese, Mold Under Wax - Recommendations  (Read 1731 times)

TommyTW15

Pressed Cheese, Mold Under Wax - Recommendations
« on: September 01, 2011, 05:55:20 PM »
Hi,

I have recently started using raw un-homogonised milk and the results on soft rippened cheeses have been good. I have however strated to notice mold growing under the wax of hard cheese. I have not seen this before. Is it ok?

Tom

Tomer1

Re: Pressed Cheese, Mold Under Wax - Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 07:13:58 PM »
No,
The mold will dig into the cheese.
You should unwax,clean the mold and rewax.

sstrantz

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 12:51:52 AM »
If you're getting mold under the wax, there will be a small opening - perhaps just a "pinhole" somewhere.  Be sure when you're waxing that it is fully covered.  You'll need to look it over carefully after waxing and any areas that appear thin - or questionable in any way that there may be a hole, just touch it up with a bit of wax.  (Of course you need to be sure there's no mold on it when you wax it in the first place.)

That should keep it from molding underneith.

TommyTW15

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 11:52:47 AM »

I did actually wax this one very thin and have noticed that the wax casing is not tight to the cheese itself. I will remove the wax tonight and inspect further.

Has anyone noticed and greater mold problems with raw milk or is there not alot of difference.

T

sstrantz

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 12:05:04 PM »
I use raw milk all the time and I also use wax all the time.  I only had mold 1 time - and there was an obvious breach in the wax. 

I'm guessing there is no difference between raw and pasteurized in this area.  The mold has something to live on either way!

TommyTW15

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 12:20:38 PM »
I think it my own fault for not using enough Wax. It is literally only 1-2 MM thick. Its just such a shame as i tested it at 3 motnhs old 2 weeks ago and it tasted the best of any hard cheese i have made to date.