Author Topic: Hard Cheese Plastic Coating - Paracoat  (Read 4185 times)

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
Hard Cheese Plastic Coating - Paracoat
« on: September 02, 2011, 10:47:01 AM »
Has anyone used paracoat, or is familiar with its function.  I understand that it is applied to the cheese shortly after its initial brine bath (as long as the cheese is thourougly dry) and then into the cave.  Presumably it is safe to ingest since it is a light coat applied by brush, and often wax follows.  It would further stand to reason that it provides all the breathable qualities necessary for the cheese to undergo its initial drying phase, and yet it protects from unwanted moulds.  Can this substance be that good?  Any thoughts or knowledge on the subject always appreciated.  Thanks

Cheese Head

Re: Hard Cheese Plastic Coating - Paracoat
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 11:19:05 PM »
Hi george13, don't know the specific product callled Paracoat, can you post a link or picture?

If you go to top Menu > Search > Advanced then type in "plastic Coat" and hit Search button you will find several threads on plastic coatings for pressed cheeses that are normally used before wax.

This post was good.

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 12:49:59 AM »
I came across it while shopping at the Dairy Connection:  http://www.dairyconnection.com/commerce/catalog.jsp?catId=8

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 06:30:15 PM »
I hate the stuff. The cheese must be reasonably dry before you paint it on. At least 2 coats. Some have mold inhibitors, some don't. But, as Francois said, the inhibitor is only good for 4-5 week anyway. It is somewhat breathable, so you still have to wax or vac bag. IMHO, it is NOT edible. It sticks to the rind and is hard to peel off, so you are going to lose quite a bit of cheese cutting around it. I prefer to vac bag so that my rinds are completely edible.

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 08:13:28 AM »
I have to agree with your statements.  I guess it's one of those products that steer the cheesemaking process into the commercial production realm rather than maintaining  the artisinal qualities of what we do.