Author Topic: Camembert - forgot something  (Read 1031 times)

mbox

Camembert - forgot something
« on: September 03, 2011, 04:51:04 AM »
Hi there i am new here and found this forum as i am in need of help...i made my camembert and it has the first white molds growing .... but i realised that i forgot to rub it with the salt before ( which many camembert recipies call for) .... any suggestions what i can do now about it ...should i rub the salt now ? Or should i just skip it?

Thanks for your replies , mbox

Cheese Head

Re: Camembert - forgot something
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 11:05:09 AM »
Hi mbox in Thailand, welcome!

All cheeses need salt, several Wiki: Articles on salt's function, types, application methods etc. With P candidum white bloomy cheeses salting is a major factor in i) draining the cheese,ii) creating a rind,and iii) causing the mould to bloom.

Thus even though you already have a P candidum white bloom I'd still dry salt the cheese, after which it will probably give off quite a bit more water.

Also, see this similar thread.

mbox

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 12:21:13 PM »
Thank you John, I actually went ahead your feedback and did rub the salt on the cheese , i also saw that it lost a little bit of water already. I will use some P. Candidum diluted and spray it on .... its my second time i try camembert , last time i tried was 4 years ago which was a failure .....currently i have stilton and a Gouda also maturing ....hope it all comes out well.

cheers, mbox

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 03:02:27 PM »
Cams are tricky, good to read that recipe & notes linked above, also lots of threads with tricks and traps in the Rennet Coag - P candidum Board.

I don't think you need to re-add P candidum, given correct humidity and aeration on bottom (mold doesn't like to have it's feet in water) it should re-bloom great.

Cheese making is fun but not simple, good luck with your other cheeses!