Author Topic: Hello from Oklahoma  (Read 3592 times)

terrie

Hello from Oklahoma
« on: January 21, 2009, 01:44:44 PM »
Looking forward to discussions and help on making cheese!  Iv'e been gathering supplies and such for about a month and have made about four cheeses, with varied results.  Got one cheddar aging with great hope.  People around here keep their cows and goats well hidden, so I'm having to use store-bought milk, but will make the best of it. 

wharris

Re: Hello from Oklahoma
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 03:19:23 PM »
I too buy store bought milk.  I think many here do as well.  It is a rare thing these days to have ready access to the real thing.

Good luck with the cheeses, welcome to the forum, and please,  post a pic,  lets see what you have aging!

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 03:51:14 PM »
Terrie, I second Wayne, welcome to the forum! I just checked our Member Location Stickie and we already have a member from Oklahoma, (sadly I just can't remember who).

I'm in Houston Texas and have only ever used manufactured store bought pasteurized cow's milk from SamsClub, Kroger, and HEB grocery chains and have not had a significant problem :).

Congrats on climbing quickly up the artisan ladder and making cheddar, I have yet to try that, so many cheeses . . . so little time ;D.

terrie

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 04:12:57 PM »
Thanks for the welcome!  Got a new digital camera,but alas, I'm a little slow with electronics and have to do a little more studying before I can post pics.  Don't tell me cheddar is harder to make!  I'm so new I didn't know that.  Anyway its too soon to say if it will be edible.  It sure is hard to wait isn't it?  Made cottage cheese(OK) mozzarella twice(one with microwave that was fit for a retread, and one pretty good)  Just got a real press and am going to attempt a gouda today.  Wish me luck!!

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 04:53:30 PM »
terrie, I made a small FAQ on Taking Pictures here and another on Post Attachments, such as pictures. Any problems, just PM me :).

chilipepper

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 05:35:05 PM »
Welcome Terrie and good luck with your Gouda!  I certainly share your pain in the wait - however it is really worth it when you get to finally crack one open and taste the fruits of your efforts.   The only advice I can give you regarding waiting is to make a lot of cheese early on and that way you will have some to sample after a month or so.  As you keep making cheese it isn't so bad because you have cheese that is happily aging that you can eat. 

Also it is very beneficial to keep good records and notes of each cheese so you can look back after several months and see what you may have done right or wrong with that particular cheese.  That is the hard part for me as you try something new and then have to wait to see if it turned out or not. 

Good luck with the pictures and camera as we'd love to see what you have cooking.

Ryan

Tea

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 07:34:14 PM »
Good morning Terrie and welcome to the forum. Good luck with the gouda, I hope it turns out for you.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 01:57:17 AM »
Welcome and dive on in..the water's warm.

Likesspace

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 02:57:44 AM »
Hi Terrie...
I recognize your name from "the other forum" but welcome to this one as well.
Honestly, I think this is the best cheesemaking forum on the web.
You will find that all aspects of cheesemaking are covered on this forum, from the manufacturing of cheesemaking equipment to thoughtful insight on the process of turning out a quality final product.
Between the two forums you should find all of the advice that you need to turn out some really great and satisfying cheese. It's certainly worked out for me (although I'm still working towards that one wheel that makes me feel like a "true" cheesemaker)

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 04:47:08 AM »
We are a great bunch aren't we...pat on the back... ;D
Honestly what makes us good is that we have people here who don't have jobs and can make cheese all day long and continually perfect the craft. OK, maybe not that extreme. But most of us are really into finding out the CORRECT information and inform others, plus we do almost always make some cheese every week so there is continual learning.

terrie

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 01:34:12 PM »
Since I don't know anyone around here interested in cheese making(seems like I get a lot of funny looks when I bring up the subject) I was looking for a group of bright people with some knowledge, sense of humor,that don't take themselves too seriously.  So you think I found them? 

Cheese Head

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 01:44:54 PM »
Morning terrie, yep you are at the right place ;D.

You bring up a good point. I get the same (sideways look) reaction when I mention to people that I make cheese, if I said I make wine or beer no problem, but cheese making does get a different reaction :-\.

terrie

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 02:23:42 PM »
Well , my husband tells people "She just ain't right"   I'm sure he means this in a loving way(?)  I take it as a compliment.  Since starting this venture I've had a few people tell me they would like to buy some homemade cheese.  No way!!  Wow, it would cost a fortune.  I only share with those who appreciate the time, love,frustration, well you know what I mean.  Sorry to ramble, but thanks to everyone.  I look forward to visiting this site every day.

wharris

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 03:24:12 PM »
Funny,

My wife just said I was obsessed.

Told her i could be watching the tube...

she said: "Cheese on...."

LadyLiberty

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 09:18:03 PM »
Morning terrie, yep you are at the right place ;D.

You bring up a good point. I get the same (sideways look) reaction when I mention to people that I make cheese, if I said I make wine or beer no problem, but cheese making does get a different reaction :-\.

I think the reason for that is that people really have no clue as to what it entails.  They think you have to have a cow or something.  I think if people realized that with a few  simple ingredients they could make their own mozzarella or ricotta or mascarpone, they would be more open to making the harder cheeses.  Especially when they realize how much cheaper it is to make your own.

Our mascarpone turned out so good last night that I'm never gonna buy it again, because ours was *that* much better than the storebought.