Author Topic: Storing Fresh Cheese?  (Read 7194 times)

Saltysteele

Re: Storing Fresh Cheese?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 12:22:58 AM »
i was looking at a packet of junket at my local grocery store, and it was mostly "other" ingredients and rennet wasn't the main ingredient.  from Junket's website: 
Ingredients: Salt, Calcium Lactate, Corn Starch, Rennet, Tricalcium Phosphate, Calcium Stearate (Food Grade)
Related Products

salt, being the main ingredient, would work against some of the processes you are trying to make happen, wouldn't it?  also, just from glancing at the list, it would seem there is not much rennet in it at all   :-\

smilingcalico

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 05:19:19 AM »
Actually, I think the old school powdered rennet of the stomach often called for salt in the make.  I asked about that once.  I'll have to dig through my posts to double check.  Really though, the technology of todays products really makes me wonder how Junket even stays in business.

Saltysteele

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 06:18:32 AM »
well, it's supposed to be for some type of coagulated desert.   :o  ?  they've got chocolate, strawberry and other stuff, in addition the plain ole junket.

however, i can honestly say i know NO ONE that has ever made it  :P

when i said:
salt, being the main ingredient, would work against some of the processes you are trying to make happen, wouldn't it?
, it was because i honestly don't know.  i wasn't being snotty (just didn't want anybody to think i was being a jerk)  :)

i agree, with the internet, if you can't find it available locally you can positively find it on the net

margaretsmall

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 11:32:17 AM »
Now you do - me! All Australian kids of my vintage were raised on junket so we fed it to our kids as well. Who in turn... hate it. So this wonderful way of getting milk into kids has gone. Can't say I miss it.
Margaret

smilingcalico

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 04:20:20 PM »
Never thought negative, Salty, that was my thought too.  It does seem counter intuitive.