Author Topic: Cheese Cloth - Cleaning  (Read 1779 times)

semisoft52

Cheese Cloth - Cleaning
« on: September 05, 2011, 02:37:46 PM »
I have a small cheese making set-up and want to save some money here and there. So I was wondering about reusing cheesecloth or muslin. The main thing is how do you clean it with out putting it in the laundry and getting all the laundry detergent in it? I have considered hand washing it in hot water. I figure I could get a bowl, some real hot water and a pair of rubber gloves so I don't burn myself. But is just hot water enough to completely clean it? Is there a cleaning solution that is recommended by people here for cleaning it?

linuxboy

Re: Cheese Cloth - Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 03:16:58 PM »
What's wrong with detergent? If you're worried about scents, use a nonscented one. If you're worried about surfactants, use something that's based on carbonate, such as oxyclean, or straight soda beads, followed by an acid rinse. The procedure for cleaning anything dairy is the same for all equipment. First, something caustic to break up the fat and protein. Then, something acidic, or plain water rinse, to neutralize the basic detergent and make the surface suitable for use.

smilingcalico

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 04:50:03 PM »
Here's a link to a discussion here on the forum: http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php?topic=6321.0
Member Wayne Harris also contributed his 2¢ (or actually $1.50) here: http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php?topic=1202.0
One thing I'd add is that if you don't have the time to clean the cloth right away, leave it soaking in a little bleach water.  Otherwise, as usual, LB gives good advice.

semisoft52

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 05:20:26 PM »
Thanks linuxboy and smilingcalico,
I figured there was a bit of info about it around, I had to start some where. From just the few days I've been viewing this forum I am impressed with the amount of info here, can't read it all in one but who wants to, leave some thing for tomorrow.  I thought I had read (some where else) in my brief three weeks of making cheese not to use soap to clean what ever cheese making cloth I used. I think it was one of those details I skimmed over at the time because I had no intention of reusing the straining/draining cloth. The soaking in water for the moment until I get what else I need sounds like a good idea. Well, back to the research, gear gathering and experimenting.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 05:25:38 PM by semisoft52 »