Author Topic: Cheeses made with Ash  (Read 2693 times)

Rechellef

Cheeses made with Ash
« on: September 05, 2011, 08:28:47 PM »
I have had quite a bit of success making cheeses from my goat's milk (various chevres, fetas, ricotta, mozzarella).  However, I want to start to get into the more adventurous side of cheesemaking by starting to include ash in some of the recipes.  Where is a good place to start?  Can some of the soft goat cheeses be lightly pressed and dusted with ash and aged a wee bit?

Oberhasli

Re: Cheeses made with Ash
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 10:34:15 PM »
I make a "Humbolt Fog" type of cheese with my goat milk.  It uses edible ash and is quite tasty and is more on the lines of camembert.  If you check the topics that have been discussed - there is quite a bit about this type of cheese and a few others with ash.  You can make a crottin type of cheese with goat milk and use ash like you mentioned.  It is basically an aged chevre.  Lots of possibilities discussed on this forum.

Bonnie

linuxboy

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 04:45:49 AM »
You can add add to any cheese, in whatever way you want. Traditionally, it is added to lactic and semi lactic goat cheeses, especially ones with a bloomy rind. The ash content and the ratio of ash to salt differ among the cheese styles, so it is up to you and your process and cheese technology (meaning less salt if the cheese is already salted, etc)

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 06:19:10 PM »
Ash is alkaline. When surface applied, it creates a more favorable environment for molds and bloomy rinds.