Author Topic: Chilipepper's Cheese #011 - Chokecherry Stout Cheddar  (Read 8275 times)

rockie900

Re: Chilipepper's Cheese #011 - Chokecherry Stout Cheddar
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 09:34:15 PM »
chilipepper

I recall you mentioning that you might test your cheese at 1 month, not to put the hard word on you but....... ;D

Cheers

Al

chilipepper

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 09:48:14 PM »
Al, funny you should mention that. I had just emailed the secretary of our homebrewing club this morning and told him I'd be bringing it to the meeting Thursday.  I plan to cut it on Wednesday night and will certainly post picts when cut!  Keep your fingers crossed! :)

stuartjc

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 03:30:12 AM »
I am also burning with curiosity!

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 04:04:42 AM »
Stuart, we talked about this, if it's burning you should see a doctor.

stuartjc

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 04:23:56 AM »
Stuart, we talked about this, if it's burning you should see a doctor.

oh, that's where I am going wrong... OK!

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 09:07:42 AM »
LOL.

On a more serious note am I the only one who can wait till term for their cheese?

Actally I would cut this one open to, so if you did it right you'll know right away and then can make some for longer aging.

chilipepper

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 04:29:51 AM »
Well here it is guys!  I think I have the texture that we are looking for.  Maybe a little tighter knitting which would come with a little more aggressive transfer of the curd to the mold like in the videos John posted.  What I'm a little disappointed in is the light color of the beer infusion.  I kind of expected it to be lighter, but maybe not that light.  I think I will try with a can of Guinness next time and at least get a baseline with a real dark stout and then can work from there. 

On the taste side, it is a really nice albeit young cheddar flavor with the subtle hint of the chokecherry stout flavor mostly as an aftertaste rather than real strong up front.  I'm pleased with the flavor as I really didn't want it to overpower the cheddar.

Well let me know what you think!?

cozcoester

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 04:53:45 AM »
Wow chilipepper.  That looks awesome.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 06:08:11 PM »
Looks like Pate. But does look very good. I wonder if they do reduce the mixture as we takled about to get it more intense? Watch the short video that someone posted and see if they move the liquid at all and can determine if it's thicker than normal.

chilipepper

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2009, 06:36:53 PM »
Carter, I did re-watch that video and it is really quite short and sweet when it comes to the process.  A couple of things: There wasn't any clues to the consistency of the beer in the measuring glass.  The other thing I notices is how dark the curd she was working and pressing into that mold was. There was also no visible whey or beer for that matter running out of that mold!  Do you suppose she was actually working the 'mortor' curd as John suggested and blending it with the beer to get the dark curd matter to then blend back in with the light curd before pressing??  Cus theirs is VERY dark and my stout was maybe not super dark but still quite dark and I'm not sure it would be that much lighter than a Guinness per say.

Ryan

Tea

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2009, 07:59:01 PM »
Chili congrats, that looks great. 

rockie900

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2009, 10:24:47 PM »
looks great chili, Guinness might give it that black colour, but the only way to find out is to make more, keep up the good work.

Al

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2009, 02:22:51 AM »
That a fine looking cheese Chili - I hope it tastes as great as it looks! Love the marbling effect you got there.