Author Topic: Some excel sheets that may be of use  (Read 2662 times)

JeffHamm

Some excel sheets that may be of use
« on: September 07, 2011, 06:07:48 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I've put together some tools in excel that I find useful for doing various calculations.  Things like calculating the PSI I end up with when I pile on different weights, or for determining how much weight I need for a given PSI.  I also use a page for keeping track of the temperature rise during those long slow periods of "raise temperature from 30 to 35 degrees over 45 minutes" type of things.  Basically, you just enter your temperatures every so often and it plots what you have against where you should be.  This lets you know if you're on the correct heat tragecotry (i.e. do you have to warm things more or less).  Also, I put together a tool for determining the time to cut based upon the floc method (i.e. enter the time you added the rennet, the time your milk gelled, and the floc multiplier, and it gives you the time to cut the curd!).  There's also a tool for calculating how much rennet of a new strength you should use to get similar results to your old rennet.  So if you go from a single strength IMCU rennet of 180 to some microbial rennet with a strength of IMCU 750, how much should you use as a starting point? 

Anyway, I thought others might find these useful.  The work book is in Excel 97 format and created on a PC.  If anyone finds any errors or bugs in the calculations, please let me know and I'll try to fix them.  They seem ok to me.

- Jeff

P.S. I found a mistake in these versions on the PSI page (the tool that reports the required kilo's to obtain a given PSI is incorrect; it converts the pounds to kilos by multiplying the pounds when it should divide, so it tells you too much weight). I've attached a corrected version a few posts down, and also explain how you can fix the formula if you have downloaded one of these versions already.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 12:22:54 AM by JeffHamm »

sstrantz

Re: Some excel sheets that may be of use
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 06:57:43 PM »
Thanks for that effort!  I downloaded and will take a closer look later tonight but definitely appreciate it! :)

mrsick44

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 08:02:08 PM »
Wow Jeff! How thoughtful and studious. Thanks for your hardwork and time. Have a cheese! ::)

JeffHamm

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 08:59:36 PM »
Thanks!  I've made a couple tweaks, so if you find the first one useful, you might want the updated one.  The new one also includes a page on brine stuff.

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 08:32:21 PM »
Hi,

Ooops!  Found a small error.  On the PSI page, if you are trying to figure out how much weight to add to get a desired PSI, the pounds are correct, but the kilo's are wrong!  Pounds are in E15 and the kilos show up in the purple cell F15.  If you click on that you can see the formula that calculates what the kilo's should be, and it currently reads =IF(E15<>"",E15*2.2,"")
That just means if E15 is not blank, then take the values and multiple it by 2.2.  It should take the number of pounds and divide it by 2.2 to get kilos (I converted the wrong way - eeep!).  Anyway, to fix it all you have to do is change the * to / so that the formula reads
=IF(E15<>"",E15/2.2,"")

Or you can download this updated book.  Sorry for that.  I thought I had tested these.

- Jeff
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 08:24:29 AM by JeffHamm »

JeffHamm

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 07:36:59 AM »
Hi,

Here's an example of the "heat rise" chart in action.  I made a montasio today, and had to raise the temperature from around 32 to 49 C over 60 minutes.  Using this chart helps one keep on track, or at least, it helps me.  All you do is enter the temperature every now and then, and compare where you are (the red squares) with the target temperature (the green line). 

- Jeff