Author Topic: Repress New Blue Cheese?  (Read 2837 times)

SarahV63

Repress New Blue Cheese?
« on: April 21, 2012, 02:07:15 PM »
Good morning!

Last night I placed my soft, inoculated, (I thought sufficiently drained) blue cheese curds in my homemade press. I took it out this morning according to Fankhauser instructions, poked aeration holes in it, salted it and wrapped it. I noticed it is still pretty soft although my holes supported their weight and remain open... for now. Its about the consistency of cream cheese.

Can/should I put it back in the press for another day with more pressure or does the consistency sound right?

Thanks!

Sarah

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: Repress New Blue Cheese?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 04:02:28 PM »
Sarah
I tried Fankhauser's recipe, ended up with a cheese :-X it was edible but no blue. The wife and I still enjoyed it on salads baked potatoes, etc.
that was when I decided to get the right stuff to make cheese properly, the thing is it was his site that got me hooked and now obsessed  :P
that cheese also was like cream cheese at first, then went hard as a rock after draining and ageing it, first blue The rest of the story is continuing  ^-^
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

SarahV63

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 04:20:01 PM »
Thank you and I love it, "Act as if it were impossible to fail." Great advice to anyone...

Fankhauser has me hooked too, and I modified the mozzarella with FANTASTIC results. I'm now obsessed with cheese making too. Right now I'm making a NY cheesecake (great recipe) with the cream cheese I ,made and then going to my Mennonites for raw milk for my next endeavor.  ;)

What recipe do you use now and how are your results? AND may I ask where you order your cultures from? I haven't done that yet.

Sarah

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 05:07:45 PM »
 I have been using this recipe it is a make that I gleaned from various books, sites, and a big part from this forum (I love this place) ;D
I have only ordered from Steve thecheesemaker, have had excellent service from him and can't see changing now.
There are many more that others on the forum use you can find them with a short search,
Most importantly enjoy your mistakes if possible  :o and savor your success  ^-^
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/