Author Topic: Cheese Smoking Equipment  (Read 8594 times)

terrie

Cheese Smoking Equipment
« on: January 22, 2009, 11:45:54 AM »
I love the flavor of smoked cheese, especially gpoda.  Has anyone tried this via adding flavor or actually smoking? 

Cheese Head

Re: Cheese Smoking Equipment
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 11:59:42 AM »
terrie, agree, there is something about smoked foods that brings out the cave man/woman in all of us ;D.

If you use the Search Utility there are lots of talk on smoking but I don't recall anyone actually smoking gouda. reg posted some info on the Provolone's he used to smoke for the restaurants he works in.

terrie

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 12:35:58 PM »
Any kind of smoked cheese is good!  I have a large wood-fired smoker for meats and would like to figure out a way to capture the smoke without the heat.  I can't permanently alter the smoker or my Hub will kill me.  Ideas anyone?

rockie900

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 01:26:41 PM »
Terrie I have tried smoking gouda, havent tasted it yet, but it smells great already. Some links here http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,683.0.html

and my "professional" smoker here
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,769.0.html

Hope this might help in some small way

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 07:36:11 PM »
Cheesehead is correct smoked food bring out the Cavewomen in him... ;D

In all seriousness CH is right there are a few people on here who have great results so far without having to build super elaborate encolsures.

Tea

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 08:36:21 PM »
Didn't Sing just smoke some gouda in his last trials?  He posted his "new" smoker in a recent thread in "Equipment" I think.  See if you can track down that post.

Sing_cheese

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 01:20:23 AM »
Terrie,

We have been workingon this in singapore. Smoked Moz, pre-ripend Camembert and blue camambert last weekend.  Trying our first goat milk this weekend and may try smoking (lightly) some  Chevre.  Cant wait to do a gouda and a cheddar, maybe early next week as its a holiday in Singapore monday and tuesday.

this is the link to the thread with the smoker pics:

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,683.0.html

Gerrit

Likesspace

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 04:12:32 AM »
Guys,
I think it was Chilipepper that posted a link to a YouTube video that showed how to make a simple smoker out of a tin can, a NEW soldering iron and wood pellets.
Well tonight I gave this simple set up a trial run and so far I am very impressed.
I think this was posted in the Cheese making equipment forum but not positive.
Do a search on smoke cheese and you'll find it.
I could not find wood pellets locally so I tried wood chips (hickory flavor) from our local Wal Mart.
By placing this setup on a plate....inserting the soldering iron in the can and covering it with a large enameled pot, I got a very strong and thick smoke under the pot.
Right now, the entire house smells like smoke and my wife and oldest daughter are a little bit ticked off at me.
Oh well, it was all in the best interests of science so I don't feel too badly about it.
But, I have decided that this is an outdoor sport from this point on.
This weekend I'm going to try it with a wedge of farmhouse cheddar and see how it works out.
Tonight was just to see if the wood chips would work out and they did.
Now I have to give it a go outside and use a thermometer to check the temp under the enameled pot. As long as it is under 120 degrees I should be good to go.
I don't think this will be a problem since we have been having outside temps in the 30's for the last week or so. By tomorrow night I should be able to post a follow up.

Dave

narelle

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 01:48:27 AM »
i currently have a smoked gouda aging in my cave its about 3 months old. i used liquid smoke to flavour it 6 teaspoons to 10 litres of milk or just over 2 gallons i added it when i put in the starter and the cheese smelt nice and smokey  :D

Likesspace

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 03:36:16 AM »
Okay,I tried the homemade smoker tonight with a small piece of Gouda. At this point I see this experiment as both a success and a failure. The success is in the fact that the cheese tastes wonderful. A little bit strong at this point but I expect it to mellow over the next day or two.
The failure......
Well, it got to hot in the enameled pot and started to melt the cheese. Although it only slightly melted on the bottom surface, it is something that is not acceptable in my mind.
I plan on finding another stock pot that is much deeper than the one I used tonight. If need be I will add some ice to the pot to keep the temperature down to acceptable levels.
As I said, the cheese tasted fantastic but I do need to work out this melting issue.
Just another project to add to an already long list.  ;D

Dave

Tea

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 08:28:22 PM »
Well great to see that you gave it a go anyway.  At least now you are able to correct what problems you have encounted and the next one should be even better.
Good luck.

Likesspace

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 02:04:22 AM »
Today, after work, I went to a different store and did find the smoking pellets I'd been looking for.
Since I now had the right equipment for the job I unwaxed one of my farmhouse cheddar wedges and gave this another go.
Anticipating that the smoke would be much greater with the pellets (as opposed to the chips) I decided to do this one outdoors on my gas grill.
Well guys, I can't begin to tell you how great the results were.
There was a LOT of smoke coming out of this little tin can. I kept turning the cheese wedge every 10 minutes or so, to keep the smoke from totally saturatin the part of the cheese that was on the bottom.
I'd guess that the cheese itself never got above 40 degrees F,since we are in the low 20's today but the smoke flavor has certainly covered every single part of the wedge.
In the confined space of the enameled pot the temps got too high, but in my gas grill, outdoors the interior was very cool and perfect for smoking a cheese.
I'll have to give this one a few days rest before I try it again. I used hickory which produced a VERY strong smoke flavor on this cheese. I think the next time I'll try to Adler pellets and see if perhaps they are a bit more mellow.
If not, I'lll simply keep adjusting the time in the "smokehouse" until I find something that I am happy with.
Hope this helps someone that wants to try smoking their cheese.
Thanks to Chilipepper for finding the link to such a simple process. It really does work.

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 03:08:54 AM »
Sa weet Dave, my mouth is watering as we speak. Post some pics already of the assembly.

Likesspace

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 03:13:31 AM »
Btw....
Here's the link to the video:

Likesspace

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 03:17:04 AM »
LOL....
Carter, see the link that I just posted.
This will give you a much better idea of the process than I could ever do with pics.
It's so simple but also very effective.
I'm glad there are people in the world that like to experiment and think outside of the box. It makes my existance so much more simple.  :)

Dave