Author Topic: CaCl question (and confession)  (Read 4711 times)

Cloversmilker

CaCl question (and confession)
« on: September 14, 2011, 02:11:29 AM »
If you make cheese with very fresh raw cow's milk, is CaCl needed? 

I generally start my cheese with milk that is still warm from the cow.  (It's usually just the right temperature for the first ripening. :D)  I've been making goudas, jacks, edam, cheddars, and fontina. 

Here's my confession:  I don't use CaCl.  Even if it is in the recipe, I leave it out.  When I first started making cheese, I did use it, but never liked the resulting texture of the cheese. It seemed to be too "brittle" when the CaCl was added. 

I'm curious about what others think.  It seems that many of you are fine tuning the quantity of CaCl you use.  Are you using fresh milk or older milk for your cheese?  Does the age of the milk have a significant effect?

MrsKK

Re: CaCl question (and confession)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 03:16:37 AM »
No need to use CaCl with raw cows milk, as the purpose of CaCl is to replace the calcium lost/destroyed through the pasturization/homogenization process.

zenith1

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 03:20:19 AM »
Karen is correct-no need cacl2 in this instance.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 03:22:21 AM »
Generally I don't use CaCl2 with fresh raw milk. There are certain times, however, that I find it helpful, such as during late stage lactation or late winter when the cows are eating late winter hay. Usually my floc time increases and gives me a clue to use a bit of calcium chloride, in an amount equal to the amount of rennet I use.
Otherwise, just ignore the CaCl in recipes when using raw milk.
Pam

onnalee13

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 10:09:32 PM »
No need to use CaCl with raw cows milk, as the purpose of CaCl is to replace the calcium lost/destroyed through the pasturization/homogenization process.

This post makes me so happy to hear! We only use Raw cow milk and i was stressing over my feta in a whey brine... phew. (right, I can breath a sigh of relief, right?)

Cloversmilker

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 03:38:53 AM »
I found that adding CaCl2 to my raw milk was helpful during the winter season.  It has not been necessary since the weather warmed and Clover has had some fresh grass for grazing.