1 gallon whole store bought milk.
70g Chobani plain yogurt
1/2 tsp calcium chloride
1/2 tablet rennet dissolved in 1/4 cup distilled water
1) Mix yogurt in a ladle of milk and set aside
2)Add calcium chloride to milk. Bring milk to 92 deg. F
3) Add yogurt slurry, stir well
4) add dissolved rennet tablet, stir 1 minute
5) Move pot to keep at ~ 90 degrees.
6) clean break came after about 80-90 minutes
7) Cut into large cubes (about 3"x3"x4").
Let sit in whey for 10 minutes
9) Gently scoop into perforated tupperware
10) Let drain at room temp (77 deg.) for 3 hours. Flip. Salt. Let drain 3 more hours.
11) put into curing chamber at 55F/80% RH for 12 hours
12) Put into 20% brine for 40 minutes, flipping 1/2 way through
13) Put in curing chamber at 55F/80% in a closed tuppeware with the cheeses raised on a sushi mat to allow draining for 24 hours
14) Put in regular fridge. Eat.
As i said, the flavor is good, a little salty (will adjust brine time next time), but the texture is wrong. Traditionally stracchino is very soft and moist, like a really soft brie, so it has that melty texture even at fridge temps, but it tastes like a tangy fresh milk b/c it's a fresh cheese. My cheese is not gooey at all. Its like a dry cream cheese..