Author Topic: Milk, pH - Raw vs Store Bought  (Read 2594 times)

Annie

Milk, pH - Raw vs Store Bought
« on: September 15, 2011, 05:15:37 PM »
I am wondering if the ph of my milk is wildly different from that of storebought milk?

I would use litmus paper except that someone here posted pics of how difficult it is to see differences when they are not that heartening (esp after having gone through 10 thermometers)

Thanks for any thoughts, ideas, or advice :)

PS a ph meter made to test soil will not work ;)

MrsKK

Re: Milk, pH - Raw vs Store Bought
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 01:38:24 PM »
I've never used any method of measuring ph in my milk or cheese.  It has taken me time, but I've learned that touch, smell, and taste are great methods of measuring when the milk/cheese/curd is ready for the next step.

The thing about raw milk is that the ph will probably change within an hour, if it is kept at room temp or warmed to 80-90 degrees for cheesemaking.  That's just the way raw milk is.

Annie

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 03:35:04 PM »
I've never used any method of measuring ph in my milk or cheese.  It has taken me time, but I've learned that touch, smell, and taste are great methods of measuring when the milk/cheese/curd is ready for the next step.

The thing about raw milk is that the ph will probably change within an hour, if it is kept at room temp or warmed to 80-90 degrees for cheesemaking.  That's just the way raw milk is.
Well, a few weeks ago I would have thought I was doomed, but I have learned to tell by smell how the culturing is coming along, so I think I may learn this too :) Thanks, Mrs K, I was wondering how they did this before we had so many ways to measure stuff.

Thanks for telling me it's just changeable like that. Amazing how milk is, it looks so calm and permanent, but on the microscopic level, all this stuff is happening!

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 10:30:47 PM »
When I first bought my IQ125 pH Meter, I couldn't believe my eyes that the store bought milk is at pH 7.0. When I get fresh milk, I measured that as well and that was pH6.8. Many users of this forum wouldn't even bother using this milk for cheese making but I have no other option.

I started altering the recipes based on pH markers for renneting, cutting, draining and pressing. Even the store bought P/H milk is changing from season to season. I have now more consistent results since I measure and record and I can see how the changes are affecting the end results.

Annie

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 11:33:22 PM »
Thanks Gurkan :) Guess after I get a good thermometer, I'll have to start saving for one of these!