Author Topic: New Cheesemaker - General Questions  (Read 2045 times)

Masterblaster79

New Cheesemaker - General Questions
« on: September 15, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum, cheese making and the world of raw milk and just have a couple of questions. I haven't tried my first cheese yet or even have any equipment and the first question i have is about the cheese connection, has anyone done business with them and if so, what is your opinion about them? Second, i have access to both cow and goat raw milk but am a little worried about safety and was wanting to low temp pasteurize it before use. How bad will that affect the quality of the cheese? I do plan on using raw in the future, once im sure the source is safe. Ive only had the store bout stuff... so im not used to cream on top, but my grandfather said he loved it and misses it :) My last question is, if i do pasteurization before i start my first batch, do i need to bring the temp all the way down to 40 degrees before i start, or can i take it down to the temp the recipe calls for? All your help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Saltysteele

Re: New Cheesemaker - General Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 04:06:44 AM »
can't help with all your questions, but yes, you can pasteurize yourself (you'd have to search here for the right temps - search for pasteurize).  also, no, you don't have to take it all the way back down to 40, just the temp at which your recipe requires you to start.

good luck, and keep us updated  :)

smilingcalico

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 05:01:52 AM »
How do you anticipate finding out if your source is safe?  Two ways I'd go about it are to 1) Go watch them milk.  See how well they clean the animals and their equipment. 2) Make cheese with the raw milk and see if your cheese "blows" (it'll start swelling and the interior will be filled with tiny holes, kind of like it's been shot with a shotgun).  This will tell you coliform bacteria are present.  Most coliform bacteria are harmless, but of course e. coli is not.  It is the fact that coliform is present that tells you something is amiss.  This doesn't say anything for listeria, or brucellosis, but looking at general herd health is where I'd begin.
I'd love to hear suggestions from others on the topic.
Pasteurizing (145° f for 30 minutes) should not affect curd formation.  Thermalizing would be less so, but IMO, is not a safe option if disease is in fact present.  As Salty answered, just take it down to the recipes temperature.

Annie

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 05:15:09 PM »
Welcome!

I am new to cheesemaking also, and using raw milk. So some questions you end up having may be questions I have had... Mina (Clovermilker?) gave me some good tips in my thread about finding a cheese mentor.

Please give your grandfather some cream if at all possible (if he's far away, I guess you can't) I give cream to my elderly neighbors, one even has Alzheimer's but is still aware of the difference!-- and they are all very happy :)

Masterblaster79

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 10:08:43 PM »
Thank you all for the help! In reply to your question smilingcalico, i'm going to go tour the farm next month. I will be trying my first cheese next weekend, which will be a soft goat cheese ( hoping it will be a good first time cheese to make)! Will let you all know how it goes. Sure i will have many more question coming in the near future!  ;) Thanks again! This is a great site!

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 12:57:10 AM »
Hi Master, looks like you are on your way, I've ordered from Cheese Connection in USA before and very good, no problem.

Our reviews of supply stores are located in the Supply Store Reviews Board. Our global listing of supply stores is on the website.

Have fun here!

Masterblaster79

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 10:00:47 PM »
Thanks John! Its funny but i never went that far down on the site to see that there was a review page, something always caught my eye on the way! lol!