Started with raw unpasteurized cow's milk using Caerphilly recipe from The Cheesemakers Manual. This is the order of possible errors and observations:
I warmed milk too quickly and overheated to 115F. Then cooled to 90F before proceeding. Added culture, calcium chloride, rennet per recipe. Beautiful, clean break after 45 min. - solid curd and clear whey.
It took a long time to cut curds to uniform size, and I continued to cut the larger curds during the entire time I was cooking curds. I stirred constantly per instructions - I tried to be gentle but there was some minor matting so I tried to keep the water moving. The whey became very cloudy.
First pressing 30 min at 1st setting on press. There was very little whey expelled and it was cloudy. At redressing, great difficulty getting the cheesecloth off - it stuck in several places and pulled whole 1/2 in. curds off with it. What a pain.
Second pressing - likewise very little whey expelled and it was cloudy with butterfat/cream floating to top. At end of pressing again difficulty removing cheesecloth and more whole curds pulled off with the cloth.
Also the pressed cheese has a few cracks. I don't know if it is too dry or exactly where the problems started. Cheese tastes good, smells good but I am discouraged about spending the time to age it with the cracks, divots from torn curds etc.
Thanks for any/all help - I realize this will probably be redirected to the proper board.....