Author Topic: Pont l'Evêque Cheesemaking Recipe  (Read 9163 times)

Offline fied

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Default personal text
Pont l'Evêque Cheesemaking Recipe
« on: September 16, 2011, 11:37:01 PM »
I've made this a couple of times and adjusted the recipe to achieve the consistency/flavour I like, but it still needs a little adjustment, though I won't be getting round to that until mid-November, as we've decided to have one at Christmas. Some years ago I came across different and partial recipes from the 19th and 20thCs and some information from a French government site laying out the cheese regulations and part of the makes for some DOC and AOC cheeses. With those and my knowledge of the cheese itself, I worked up the recipe below. It's still not quite perfect; with the milk/cream I get it here in Glasgow it tends to be a little firmer than I ideally like. Next time I'll try lengthening the renneting time somewhat, though not to the length of a Brie or Camembert.

Pont l'Evêque Type

Type:         Washed rind cheese
Milk :          Cows' milk, unpasteurised or pasteurised. These days it's mostly made with pasteurised milk.
Aspect :     Square moulded in three sizes, the medium one being at c. 11 cm x 3-4cm thick, with ridged rind. Up to 
                  350  to 400 gr. in weight. 45% fat.
Country:    Pont-l'Évêque, Normandy countryside. Originally a farmhouse cheese.

The make is roughly halfway between a Brie and a Reblochon and should not be runny when fully matured.

White and grey rind with thin orange and/or light brown stripes, or the white colour of the Pont-l'Évêque slowly turns to a light yellow with light brown stripes. Originally, the cheese was left to blue mould after the salting, but when the cheese was re-introduced after WW1, either an orangey b.linens. or annatto was used to develop the rind.

The texture is open and soft, but neither runny nor springy and the cheese glistens (like a Reblochon) due to the richness of the milk. The taste is creamy, finely textured and smooth and the aroma is pungent; the taste has a bite to it if the rind is eaten. The rind is ridged at top and bottom by the mats it stands on and is curdy at the sides; it should not be thick and can be eaten.

Ingredients:
7 1/2 imp. pts. of pasteurised whole milk; 1/2 pint single cream; 1oz creme fraiche, left out of fridge overnight and mixed with a mug of the cheese milk; 1/4 tsp CalcCl2; 1/4 tsp animal rennet; 1/4 oz salt ; an 11.5cm square x 6 cm high bottomless mould; 3%brine+1/16 tsp b. linens solution - enough for 5-6 washes.

Make:
Milk and cream  is heated gently to 85F/29C and starter added. Ripen for 15 mins
Add CalcCl2 and further ripen for 15 mins. Maintain temp.
Add rennet - floc time, 15mins. cut at 30 mins. Maintain temp.
The curd is cut into 3 cm strips, with no horizontal cutting except at ladling.
Stir/move around gently by hand intermittently for 5-10 mins, or until curds firm up but are not hard, in order to drain off the whey.
Let curds settle - up to 5 mins, or as soon as done.
Ladle gently into an 11.5cm square x 6 cm high bottomless mould* placed on a straw, reed or sushi mat. Ladle in more curds as the whey drains to top up the mould.
Drain at room temp - 63-70F/22°C (the cooler the better).
Cover mould with a reed mat and flip every 2 hours for 8 hours.
Once most of the whey is drained away, the cheese is placed in a cave at 58F/85-90%RH for five days where it is turned at least once daily.
Keep in mould (originally metal) for 2 or 3 days, if necessary.
After 5 days, dry salt on all sides and leave cheese in its brine for a day, flipping once.
Once it is brined, mature in a cave @ 56F/85-90%RH and flip at least once a day.
The day after brining, the cheese is blotted with paper towels and left for a further day.
Next day, if cheese is dry, the washing and brushing starts. Use a 3% brine and b. linens  wash every two days for 6 days, then every three days for 6 days. Make up a solution, but only use a little at each wash. Do not soak cheese in wash, but just pour out about 1/5 of the solution and smear on cheese gently with a clean rag. Stop when b.linens forms a light covering of colour.
3% brine and brush to destroy any blue mould, but let geo. go if it appears, though brush it down.
If the cave is a plastic box, wipe up whey and dry inside of the lid daily; use fresh mats when turning.
Mature for at least 2 weeks, though most are left for over 6 weeks. Continue to brush while maturing.

* You might need 2 moulds with this amount of milk; it depends on the milk/cream quality. If you have only one such mould, one or two 4" Camembert moulds will deal with the residue. I made my first square mould with 4 heavy cardboard strips about 14 cm x 6cm, wrapped with foil and then plastic wrap. I cut slots in each strip halfway through on one of the long sides at an 11.5 cm interval, then slotted the 4 pieces together to form a square mould. It just about held together through the make. I've since made one on the same principle by cutting down polypropylene storage boxes. As the slots uncouple, it makes the mould easy to wash and sterilise.

If using raw milk, leave out the culture and CalcCl2 and proceed with warming the milk gently and adding rennet.

The yellowish and red stripes may develop if the cheese rind is ridged during moulding and is regularly brushed; otherwise it'll be mainly orange/red.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 08:06:41 AM by fied »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Pont l'Evêque Cheesemaking Recipe
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 01:52:11 PM »
Thank you for that recipe. Have you made it without culture (when using raw milk)?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline fied

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 03:57:16 PM »
No. I've only made it with pasteurised milk. I'd be interested to hear how the recipe goes with raw milk.

I'll be making one in about 2 weeks so that it's ready for Christmas and will post notes/photos here on the make.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 10:43:08 PM »
I'll be following with intense curiosity.  :)

I have two stinkies in progress right now: Taleggio & Esrom.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

silverjam

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 10:21:03 AM »
Hi Fled.

Great Recipe.

Two questions...

You don't add any Geo or Peni Candi to your recipe?

Also, if you don't, how does the Pont get its bloomy rind look (see pic) that I see in the pics? (no Peni Candi or Geo?)

Thanks.

Silver

Offline fied

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 11:10:53 AM »
There are differences about the rind on Pont l'Évêque. Originally, the rind was left to blue, but making the cheese died out around the time of WW1. After the war, the cheese was revived, but with a B. Linens rind and, occasionally, depending on the cave, some Geo. development. It should never be fully white, nor should it have the addition of an annatto wash, which some commercial makers add.  I prefer the rind-washed version as I like stinky cheeses and the slight softening of the paste that occurs, though it should never develop to the runny stage; Geo. occurs naturally in my house/cave, so I leave it to develop, or not.

I also have to watch for blue development in the 5 day period before dry salting, as any cheese in Glasgow will blue if left to itself. If it does, I just wipe the blue off with a 3% brine.

I'll be making one this w/end, so will post notes and pics here.

Here is about the finish I like, though I've made one where the Geo. didn't develop:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 11:31:50 AM by fied »

Offline fied

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 02:40:37 PM »
Here's the make 8 hours into draining. It had been flipped four times by this time. It's now sitting in the 'cave' draining more and has lost about a quarter more volume, so should be ready to salt this coming Saturday. The surface in the pic. was the top-off of the curds and I'd forgotten to keep a sliver of curd to top it off neatly, which I usually do with unpressed cheeses; the other side is much smoother. I can only hope no blue will get in, but this side will be the bottom of the cheese anyway:

« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 02:48:55 PM by fied »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 03:04:37 PM »
Nice!  :)

I like your personally-fashioned cheese form. Very inspiring. I see a lot of hole-drilling there.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline fied

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 03:43:28 PM »
The form hasn't any holes drilled in. What you can see is an all-over star pattern, which I've purposely put to the outside of the form!

Something I forget to say: I used some new rennet and didn't test it against the old rennet first. I used the supplier's instructions and halfway though the hour's renneting realised it wasn't going to set, so I added another half quantity and had a floc point then in18 mins. I suspect this will affect the final cheese somewhat and it might be more acid than it should be, though it probably won't be bitter. The curds did look and feel similar to the ones I've made before, if a bit on the soft side. That meant I had to be even more careful than usual with stirring, pitching and ladling. We'll see what happens!

Offline fied

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 11:51:16 AM »
The PlE at 20 days. The b. linens is beginning to develop, but I didn't want it to go much further, so stopped washing at that point:

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 01:39:36 AM »
Nice!   8)

Looking forward to seeing this progress.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

JeffHamm

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 01:53:52 AM »
Yes, this is looking like a very interesting make.  I'm keeping tabs as well.

- Jeff

Offline fied

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 11:33:46 AM »
We cut into this on Boxing Day. It was creamy, with a slight tang, a little earthy and a b. linens smell. While it was fine, it reminded me more of a Belgian Herve than a PlE.

The final rind:

JeffHamm

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 04:34:58 PM »
It's held its shape well, and the rind looks nice and even in its development.  Sounds like it tasted good, if not quite the profile you were expecting.  You said you were still adjusting the recipe, was it closer to what you were looking for in the past or was this a step in the right direction? 

- Jeff

Offline fied

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 10:40:31 AM »
I think it's more of a step in the right direction, especially as I'm having to use over-pasteurised supermarket milk,and so, having to fiddle about with starters, cultures and rennet. Though the cheese wasn't bitter, the earthy flavour was a bit unexpected. Next time, I'll try using less rennet and let the floc point take its own time. I'll also be giving it a daily airing of about 30 mins. out of the fridge.