Author Topic: Goat Gorgonzola  (Read 5211 times)

darius

Re: Goat Gorgonzola
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 11:32:44 PM »
Aris, I used 2% of the weight out of the mold for the salt amount.

Yes, I did think after my post above that Gorgonzola doesn't have a blue rind.

darius

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 03:01:59 PM »
Starting to show some blue... It went in the cave yesterday.

(I know I need a container with a lid that's wider rather than tall and narrow, but it's what I have, for now.)

darius

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 06:07:34 PM »
Here's my cheese today, ready to vac-seal because it's getting a hard rind in spite of being in a container with water in the bottom in the cave. I started this make Sept. 17, put it in the cave Sept. 23, second piercing was Oct. 17.

Weight is now 771 grams, down from the initial 893g. I shall cut it in 18 days at a house party, and take a photo of the inside then. I'm quite anxious to see how it turns out!

JeffHamm

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 07:50:22 PM »
Ooo, that looks good!  Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.  As for your container, just lay it on it's side and it becomes very wide and short! :)

- Jeff

darius

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 08:12:43 PM »
Thanks Jeff. I DID get another container, and it's short and wide!

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 06:25:57 AM »
Yeah mine is also forming a tough rind and drying out even in a tupperware. It's a wise decision to vac seal it. Nice looking cheese btw, it really looks like a Gorgonzola.

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 09:12:42 AM »
Great looking cheeses on this thread.  While on topic, I had a related question.  I understand that gorgonzola is wrapped so as to maintain a somewhat soft exterior.  At what point would you recomend sealing the cheese, since that would also eliminate the functionality of the air holes which I would normally pierce at the onset of aging.  Thanks

Tomer1

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2011, 11:16:35 AM »
It depends on how powerful you like your cheese.
You can examine the paste with a tester (I use a cheap SS apple corer) and I like my blue fairly light.

darius

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2011, 01:07:31 PM »
After I vac-packed this cheese yesterday, I left it sitting out on the counter for a couple of hours before trekking it back out to the root cellar building which houses my cave. The outer skin felt somewhat more pliable even though it wasn't quite up to room temp. yet.

darius

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2011, 05:00:01 PM »
Update and photos of the cut cheese here: http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,8556.0.html