Author Topic: equivalent measurement for mesophilic started Ricki Carroll cheesemaking book  (Read 8354 times)

cheesequeen

Hello Happy Cheesemakers,
I have the Ricki Carroll Cheesemaking book and in her recipes it mostly calls for 1 packet of direct set mesophilic starter. Does anybody know how much is this in terms of a dash, smidgen, pinch measuring spoons? I can not find any equivalent in her book at all which is very strange. I have the multipack mesophilic starter MM100-101 Series by Choozit. For every 2 gallons milk in her recipes it calls for one packet of direct set mesophilic starter.
Thanks.

linuxboy

Just ignore all that and use normal industry standards. Meaning for MM100, use 6.5 DCU per 100 liters milk.

cheesequeen

Thanks. I read the forum explaining what dcu x amount of milk. I referred back to the packaging and cheesemaking web by Steve Shapson which tells how much to use per gallon of milk. Do you think I can use this mesophilic started above to make another cheddar? or tomme?
Thanks again

linuxboy

yes.

opalcab

Hi cheese queen try a better book for learning   200 easy cheese recipes i found it to be easy to use for the beginner

dthelmers

I'll second Opalcab on that. 200 Easy Homemade Cheese Recipes by Debra Amrein-Boyes has been very helpful for me. If it had pH targets, it would be even better. I pencil in notes about pH targets that I've gotten from this forum.

cheesequeen

I making the stirred curd cheddar recipe right now. I added one cup of heavy cream as Dr.Jillian farmhouse cheddar #4 in this forum. I added annatto food coloring diluted in 1/4 bottled water and stirred slowly up and down motion with 1/4 of meso starter , temp 90 degrees.Added one tsp CaCl. 1/4 tsp doube strength chymosin rennet.
Waiting to ripen given time 45 mins.
I wrapped the pot with my padded apron around it and tied the string of apron together ( clever? hmm perhaps?? ) to keep temp at 90 degrees.
Question: can I add lipase to cheddar making or not? if so how much? if not why? any input is appreciated. thanks
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 05:01:39 PM by cheesequeen »

cheesequeen

Not quite clean break at 45 mins a bit wobbly in the other side of pot. Temp now 89 degress.
 I let it set for another 10 mins pot uncovered. Linuxbox suggestion to set a bit longer and cut curds larger when ready. I have timers on.
Clean break at 55 mins
Cut curds a bit bigger size some light yellow whey showing
Rested for 25 mins after cutting. Timers on.

cheesequeen

My farmhouse cheddar 9/24/2011
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 11:06:20 PM »
More whey on top a little bit more yellow after 10 mins resting after curds were cut.
Temp increase to 91 degress without me warming the pot. I wonder why? maybe when whey is cut, release more butterfat and butterfat is warm? seems logical. Any comments?

cheesequeen

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 11:52:00 PM »
Ready to stir. Stirring gently for 5 mins and off 5 mins. I have two timers on: one for the stirring and resting timing and the other for the total time goal is 45 mins
Started heating it up slow temp now is 93 after two stirring periods. More whey
Stir 5 mins rest 5 mins. I have to adjust my burner to very very low simmer temp is claiming too fast. Curds looks firmer and more define. More yellowish why. Temp at 99 degrees 27 more mins to go total for stirring time.
This time curds are sinking in the bottom and more yellowish clear whey. Temp 98 degrees  22  mins more to go.
Burner off temp 102. Stirred 5 mins and off 5 mins. 16 mins to go
In the meantime now I have my colander lined with cheesecloth and soak them in warm water and later will be warm whey when I start removing whey. Some say this will prevent curds from sticking. I will do the same on my mold with the cheesecloth before I ladle the curds.
Stirred 5 and 5 rest. The curds are looking very different, soft firm, more more whey. Although my temp is staying at 102 degrees even burner is off. Should I get worried? Let 's just wait and see.

cheesequeen

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 12:27:39 AM »
stirred 5 and rest  5 . temp down to 100 degrees. I tasted curds it is sweet. I squeezed sample with my hand , it does not mat. Only three minutes to go. Temp 100. Heat turned off .
Ready to ladle off the whey till you see curds. I ladled off maybe one half and then realized I need to rest and hold the whole curds and pot for 30 to forty mins. 'So I just stopped. Still has whey covering curds. I covered and rest maintaining temp at 100 degrees.  There were few curds clumping together so I just separated them with the scooper for the whey and let it go. Had a cup of tea and wait.

cheesequeen

Re: equivalent measurement for mesophilic started Ricki Carroll cheesemaking book
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 01:53:50 AM »
Rested curds and whey for 35 mins and removed whey till curds are showing.
Stirred total of 25 mins, same scenario before stir, rest , stir till time is up. Curds cling together somewhat when squeezed with my hand.
Whey drain in cheesecloth lined colander. Curds not too firm but they mat when you squeeze them.
Back to pot and rest for 5 mins separated medium clumps otherwise they look like cottage cheese a bit bigger bits.
Salted with1 and three fourths salt , I did not put whole  two tablespoon. Mixed by hand till blended. Tasted good for me just right.
Mold lined with butter muslin cloth and curds in, cover with the rest of cheesecloth and lid put in
On to my cheese press, Nut turned to about 4 and half cm from the top of nut equally both side light pressure and  some whey come out. Will keep this pressure for one hour.
I will make ricotta with leftover whey. Gave some to my black lab she gobbled it so fast.

cheesequeen

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 03:53:56 AM »
I pressed the curd for one hour. Removed the cheesecloth and the bottom of cheese looks more together , did not disintegrate when I remove the cheesecloth
Redress and inverted cheese , pressure is more at 7 cm mark from the top of nut. Opinion on forum recommends hard pressing. More whey coming out but not as much as first press.
So I will leave this overnite.
Phew! this took almost five hours from start to finish.
Goodnight cheese! I will see you tomorrow. We both hope for the best  ;)

susanky

Re: equivalent measurement for mesophilic started Ricki Carroll cheesemaking book
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 12:10:13 PM »
Whew!  That was fun.  I'm worn out for you!
Susan

cheesequeen

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 07:55:57 PM »
Thanks for the post, Susan. Yah, I was beat but all is well for the love of cheese  :D