Camembert - Rind Split, Leaking Runny White Paste

Started by bigfish_oz, September 20, 2011, 12:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigfish_oz

I thought I'd made my first successful Camembert until I went to wrap them tonight...

I made the cheese about three weeks ago and it took nearly two weeks to get any mould coverage. I used the recipe from 200 Easy Homemade Cheese Recipes.

The attached photo (not very clear sorry) shows what appears to be OK. Unfortunately, the first one I wrapped had an good cover of PC and the rind felt good. The top of the round was depressed (a bit like the top of a can of beans) by about 4-5mm. The feel was of a very soft (=liquid) body with a hard centre "floating" in the runny paste. It was soft enough to split and what seeped out was quite white and very runny, although it smelled fine and tasted right.

Is this the dreaded skin slip?

The other two rounds seem much better.

Boofer

I'm no cam expert, but I've taken the liberty of dimming down your pic so more experienced opinions can be heard.

Looks good from what I see on the outside....

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

bigfish_oz

Thanks, Boofer. The picture actually appears useful now!

Cheers,
Alan

Gürkan Yeniçeri

I don't think it is slip skin. It usually comes with an amonia smell.

iratherfly

Can you show us a cross cut? Let's see the body and paste. How and where did you age it? Camemberts are all about aging regiment and conditions

opalcab

I think your cheese is Yelling Eat Me it looks just like mine and i use the very same recipe and book
Happy cheese making
Have lots of fun with the cams
Stan

Tomer1

As yoav implied,
It sounds like uneven ripening.  a "perfect cam" required strict humidity and temp control to get that perfectily even soft paste and smooth flavour.