Author Topic: Help wiring  (Read 18784 times)

wharris

Help wiring
« on: September 20, 2011, 03:19:50 PM »
This is a cross-post of mine, from winepress.us.
Admittedly this is more of a wine equipement question, than cheese, but I know there are some really smart people here that have solved similar issues.  Sorry ahead of time if the cross post offends anyone.  I can assure that is not my intention.  (I'm stuck, and grapes are soon arriving....)

I need a bit of help getting my new grape destemmer wired up.  As I look to wire my new WE286, it is quickly outstripping my electrical knowledge. I'm not completely helpless from a wiring standpoint, I can wire up switches and outlets, run new circuits, and even wire a 220v dryer, but this motor is rapidly stumping me.

This destemmer did not ship with a plug end on the power cord, Instead it has 3 exposed wires, (Brown, Blue, and Yellow/green)

The motor itself is an Italian 220V, Single Phase, 12 Amp motor.

I know there are others out there that have wired this unit, or motors like it successfully.
 But I am looking for a bit of direction on this. Is that something anyone here can help with?

Basically, what I'm looking for, are things such as the following:

"You need to get a NEMA 6-20 Male plug on the power cord"
 "You need a dedicated 220V-20A circuit"
 "You need wire up compatible NEMA 6-20 outlet, using romex 12-3"
 "You need the use the hot wires (both red and black) and the ground"
 "The neutral is not needed"

or should i just hire an electrician?
 none of this is immediately clear from the manuals or online websites.

Thank you.

linuxboy

Re: Help wiring
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 03:29:49 PM »
This is European standard.

- That yellow with green wire is ground. Equivalent in the US would be bare wire.
- That blue is neutral. You connect this same as you would a red hot wire. In a straight 110 volt, it would be neutral.
- The last one, the brownish one, it's for hot. Same as black in the US.

Use that and find a guide that tells you how to wire up normal US appliances using 2 hot, red/black wires.
You actually already posted the gist of it. Can you ask another question? Not seeing the issue, need tea.

wharris

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 03:39:59 PM »
Thanks.

What is stumping me is that a NEMA 6-20 plug (needed for 220VAC) does not use a neutral, only 2 hots and a ground.

But according to what I read, the blue wire i see hanging, is supposed to be for neutral.

So, my question was how to rectify that disparity.

I've begun to actually wonder if I need to get a step up transformer to convert 110VAC, to 220VAC  on the one brown wire, and a standard neutral to the bleu, and copper to the green.

I thought I mentally had this for a while, but a co-worker here at the office has my mind wrapped around an axle and I'm full of doubt now.
a phone call, if someone had time, would be udderly fantastic.......

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 03:44:41 PM »
I think I'm not being clear.

European standard: That yellow with green wire is ground.  US Standard: Equivalent in the US would be bare wire.
European standard: That blue is neutral.  US Standard: You connect this same as you would a red hot wire. In a straight 110 volt, it would be neutral. Meaning in your 220v plug, connect to red.
European standard: The last one, the brownish one, it's for hot. US Standard: Same as black in the US.

edit. Or think of it another way. You're running 2 110v lines. You now have two blacks, two whites, two grounds, right? Well, connect one black to first hot (brown). Connect other black to second hot (blue). cap off the whites on the incoming, don't need them. Connect the ground to ground. In the cable coming out of the motor, pick up the plug end and connect it in a similar way. Black to brown. Black to blue, ground to yellow/green.

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 03:51:27 PM »
the blue wire i see hanging, is supposed to be for neutral.
In Europe, it is. Their black (brown) comes in at 220v, so of course it needs to be. Ours is 110V, so you need to connect the second hot to it.

wharris

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 03:53:32 PM »
the blue wire i see hanging, is supposed to be for neutral.
In Europe, it is. Their black (brown) comes in at 220v, so of course it needs to be. Ours is 110V, so you need to connect the second hot to it.

So I need my brown to be hot, My blue to be hot, and my green to be ground, and no neutral is needed.

linuxboy

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 03:56:42 PM »
Yeppers. Honestly, this is like a 10 min job. Run all the lines, buy the plugs on both ends to pre-prep and for your peace of mind and get an electrician buddy out there and give him a 6 pack and call it done. I understand your confusion here, but this is kind of wiring 101.

Make sure on the motor, it says 50/60Hz

You can also do this with thicker cable and a different type of plug.

wharris

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 04:00:17 PM »
ok, well, if that is the case, then this falls squarely back into the realm of things I can do.

Thanks a million.   I have a bottle (or two) with your name on it.  where can i send them?

linuxboy

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 04:10:19 PM »
Right now, to that slash between my locations :). I packed up the cave, mostly in boxes right now waiting to be moved. Best bet, age them out and come out for part of crush (hopefully) next year.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 04:16:28 PM by linuxboy »

wharris

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 04:38:02 PM »
BTW, I quoted your response over in Winepress.us

linuxboy

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 04:50:37 PM »
Thievery! Larceny and hijinks! I demand a whooping turtle as compensation.

Hope it helps...

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 05:09:52 PM »
I just went thru the exact same thing on a European floor model vacuum bagger. I couldn't find the correct 220v European receptacle locally and I already had a 220v stove receptacle handy, so I simply spliced a 220v stove cord into the cord for the vac bagger. In that case the brown and blue went to the 2 hots on the stove cord. One is +110v and the other is -110v, so the dynamic potential between the two is 220v. The yellow line goes to ground - the big prong on a stove outlet.

wharris

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 04:27:52 PM »
All done.  I wired this myself.  It works great.
Thanks to Linuxboy and Sailor for their help.

linuxboy

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 05:32:52 PM »
Awesome; way to go! Feels good to figure it out on one's own :)

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 12:21:33 AM »
I am happy to hear that your wiring issue has been resolved, I am envious however, since my destemer (also from Italy) has a hand crank on its end. These modern marvels. 
Salute!!!