Author Topic: equivalent measurement for mesophilic started Ricki Carroll cheesemaking book  (Read 8352 times)

cheesequeen

My farmhouse cheddar 9/24/2011 REVEAL DAY!
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »
Good Morning Happy Cheesemakers,
Okay, today is the reveal day. I woke up late.:(
 I took my farmhouse cheddar out of the press. It has been pressed for 12.5 hours instead of 12 oh well.
I was holding my breath when I was removing the cheese cloth and wala!!!! it actually looks good for me.
Here are some pictures. What do you think?
I will airdry it on my counter for 1-2 days or till dry to touch as per recommendation.
 Weight is 1029 grams 9/25/11

cheesequeen

My farmhouse cheddar 9/24/2011 REVEAL DAY! Pictures
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2011, 08:31:17 PM »
I have some areas that does not look even on the bottom of the cheese. I will pay attention to smoothing out the cheesecloth next time especially the top when you fold the cheesecloth. It was quite crinkly. I did not take picture of it because I inverted the cheese for nicer shot. These pictures are the bottom of the cheese when it was pressed. I placed it on my cake stand with doily for nicer photoshoot of my farmhouse cheddar. It think the annato coloring helped in giving my farmhouse cheddar a soft yellowish hue all around.
I think I will make another one again today. I am totally inspired! or make French Macaroons. Let's see.
Thanks for the guidance of Linuxboy. I really appreciate all your input and recommendations in cheese journey.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 12:45:23 AM by cheesequeen »

cheesequeen

My farmhouse cheddar 9/24/2011 REVEAL DAY! Pictures
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 04:32:44 PM »
weight today 9/26/2011 down to 1004 grams
color getting darker yellow and with few areas that are light yellow. I tried to enhance photo to show the patchy areas.
I smell a little hit of cheesy smell , acid smell ?
Still a bit moist, not completely dry. It is somewhat cloudy in the morning here and sunny in the afternoon the last two days. Temp is around low70 in the morning.  Usually it is in the mid 80 to 90 degrees so it is taking a while to dry.
I plan to make cheese#2 today so by the holidays maybe I could showcase my cheeses if everything turns out okay. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Thanks for viewing. Follow my blogs and I appreciate your comments please Happy Cheesemakers  8)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 04:38:58 PM by cheesequeen »

cheesequeen

My farmhouse cheddar #1
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 08:53:38 PM »
9/26/2011 cheese is just right cold very slight damp. Air dry time is two days now.
weigh 1003
I made a brine. I did not have white vinegar so I used white rice vinegar maruchan brand 4.3% acidity and mix little  kosher coarse vinegar , nuked it for 45 sec , mixed it and let it cool.
I used my little silicone brush( heated up to sterilized ) and brush my cheese all over.
Surface took about 30 mins to dry sort of on the surface
I used lard ( I  read suggestion from rind management forum). I melted it for 2 mins. Let it cool.
Brushed the cheese all over.
Off the cheese goes to my cheese cave (mini fridge) temp inside is 51- 53 degrees range.

cheesequeen

Hello Happy Cheesemakers,
Today is about 7 days since I made my Farmhouse Cheddar #1
Weight 985 grams
rind is yellow still somewhat soft firm
I rubbed coarse salt today all around
then I rub little olive oil all around
Back to cheese cave ( mini fridge ) temp 52-54 degrees

I did make Cheddar #2 same way
Something different in pressing/ drying within 24 period
After pressing overnight and airdrying, there were still some liquid coming out. It cracked a little bit on one side when I was pulling it out of the cheese mould. I put the cheese back to the cheese press, hard press overnight.
Took it out the next day crack is gone and cheese is firmer and dry. I hope pressing it again second time and leaving it overnight did not do anything to the texture orgo anything wrong in the end? Okay, I have to be very optimistic.  Any comments?

Both cheeses seems doing well in cave for now. ^-^
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 02:53:07 AM by cheesequeen »