Author Topic: My version of a "Mini Baby Bel"  (Read 22265 times)

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Ian
My version of a "Mini Baby Bel"
« on: September 22, 2011, 12:40:18 AM »
I am not sure if this is the right place.

My Son loves to eat Mini Baby Bel's, but at about $8 for a bag of 6, it could be a bit costly to keep him in cheese.  So I figured I could try and make some my self, or something like them at least.  I tried a couple of weeks ago, using a mixture of 3.25% p/H milk and some goat milk.  Well they were round and puck like and he would not eat them.  On Sunday I decided to try again. 

Here is what I used

4 Litres of 3.25% p/h milk
1 tbsp of homemade cultured sour cream as the starter made the day before
1/4 tsp calcl2 in 1/4 cup water
1/8 tsp calf rennet in 1/4 cup water
1 tbsp of pickling salt.

I heated the milk on direct heat (med low) until it reached 34F, then I added the sour cream.  It took about 15 mins to get to temperature and it was a bit of work to get the sour cream incorporated.  I then let it sit with the lid on the pot for 30 min checking to make sure the temperature did not drop too much.  After that I added the CaCL2 and mixed, then the rennet.  I decided not to use the flock method on this time as I was not sure what to use.  after 45 mins I had a clean break, so I cut the curd into about 1/2 inch cubes and let them rest for about 10 mins.  I then turned up the heat a bit to bring the temp up to about 38 F, this took me about another 20 mins.  It only stirred a few times, as the last time I stirred too much, hence the pucks.  When It reached temperature, I let it rest for another 20 mins then I drained and salted the curd directly.

Off to the side I had 20 Dixie cups with holes puncture throughout the bottoms and the sides, using them as molds.  I tired to fill them evenly, I then placed them on a draining mat, and put empty Dixie cups on top of the molds.  I then placed a cutting board on top of the cups, and then placed a full tea kettle on top of the board.   After 20 mins I flipped the cheese in the molds, replaced the cups and the board, but then placed a Milk jug full of water on top and pressed for another 3 hours. (I am kicking my self for not taking pictures of the pressing) After pressing I threw away the cups and air dried the cheeses for 24 hours as they were very dry to the touch.  I have them in a container in my fridge, they still give off a little moisture, but they are quite good.  Next time I think they may go in the cave for week or two.  They are a bit crumbly on the outer edges, but soft yet have some chew to them too.  They are moist and they are developing a bit of a mild tang to them.

My son calls them "Dino Bites" and now takes them in his lunch.  I do too.

Here are some pictures of them.  I made 20, but as you can see in the pictures there are not 20 left ;D   

JeffHamm

Re: My version of a "Mini Baby Bel"
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 03:07:33 AM »
Very nice!  I was thinking a washed curd approach might be worth a try too.

- Jeff

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 03:39:13 PM »
Thanks for sharing your experience with this.  We really like the "Baby Bel" cheese, too, but with making cheese and having a cow that just keeps on giving milk every day...I sure hate to spend the money, too.

I'll put this on my "to do" list for later this fall when my cheesemaking classes are in hiatus.

Cloversmilker

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 01:19:56 AM »
Those look great for a fresh portable cheese!  The dixie cups are a great idea. 

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Ian
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 01:26:41 PM »
So far they are a hit with the boy, and a few people at work. 

Very nice!  I was thinking a washed curd approach might be worth a try too.

- Jeff

I tired a washed curd with the first batch, that and soaking them in a brine too.  I might try it again, the last time they were rather tasteless, this time they seem to have some flavour.

Those look great for a fresh portable cheese!  The dixie cups are a great idea. 

The Dixie cups seem to work, but they tend to get really soggy and you basically have to rip them up to get things out.  They are cheap so that is a good thing.  I am thinking about getting some silicone mini muffin pans, putting some holes for drainage and try them.  I might be able to get a better press with them.

I'll put this on my "to do" list for later this fall when my cheesemaking classes are in hiatus.

I figured if I make 20 at a time, they could last about 2 weeks, then make some more.  I think it will be come part of the routine.  I guess I will get to make more sour cream too.

Cheers

Ian

Crystal

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 08:32:18 PM »
Love it! Got no idea what a Dixie Cup is though? And washing the curd, wanna post a how-to for what you tried?

Cloversmilker

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 10:05:00 PM »
A washed curd cheese is one which has some whey removed and replaced by water during the make.  Many Dutch, Danish, and German cheeses are washed curd.  I find them easy to make because you can use the temp of the added water to help control the temp of the make. 

Read through some of the recipes here for a virtual taste.  http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/board,178.0.html

boothrf

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 11:17:51 PM »
Hey Crystal,

You are probabley not old enough to remember the little blue paper cups of Peters Ice Cream! That's a Dixie cup. Yum  :) I'm not sure if they still sell them. We used to get them as a treat when we went to the Easter Show in Sydney as kids.  ;D ;D

margaretsmall

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 11:20:42 PM »
I too wondered what a Dixie Cup is, so I googled, and found that first, they were an all girl pop group, famous, according to Wikipedia, for their enormous hit 'Chapel of Love', 1964 (I remember that!)  and second,  ' a cup made out of paper and often lined with plastic or wax to prevent liquid from leaking out or soaking through the paper.It may be made of recycled paper and is widely used around the world.' (also Wikipedia).
Margaret

Crystal

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 02:14:47 AM »
Right, i think Blue Ribbon still do the little cups, but there like $3 each, for about one scoop of ice cream! So, im not buying 40 of them to make cheese! lol, ill just find something else!

margaretsmall

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 06:56:15 AM »
Not only are we deprived of Dixie Cups here down under  I don't think we have Baby Bels either - What are they like? I've put this in my 'to do' file as I like the idea of the quick results. How long can you keep them do you think (assuming they aren't gobbled up within a day or two)?
Margaret

ellenspn

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 01:44:00 PM »
Baby bels I consider portable but barely edible cheese  :P YMMV

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Ian
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 02:25:09 PM »
I was able to keep the first batch for about 2 weeks, the second batch, I was able to keep for about 3 weeks.  They tasted much better as they aged.  They did not actually taste like a baby bel, but they were a nice fresh cheese.  Unfortunately I have been so busy since the second make, I have not been able to make some more. I am hoping to make more next week.  I think the key to the flavour on the second batch was the cultured sour cream.

I have priced out some silicone muffin pans to use as molds.  I hope it wont be so soggy.

Ian

JeffHamm

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 05:50:56 PM »
Hi Ian,

But won't the silicone muffin pans prohibit draining when you press?  I've been collecting single serve yogurt/pudding containers.  I figure I can pierce them and use them for small cheeses, like crotins, etc.  Since they are plastic, they would not go soggy like a dixie cup would.

- Jeff

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Ian
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 06:13:57 PM »
Jeff,

I have thought of that, Ikea sells them for about $1.99 CAD a piece.  I think I can use a hot nail or drill and poke some holes in the bottom, at that price I can afford to destroy a few during testing.  I honestly never thought about the pudding containers, I will have to save some and do more "research"

Cheers,

Ian