Author Topic: My version of a "Mini Baby Bel"  (Read 22178 times)

JeffHamm

Re: My version of a "Mini Baby Bel"
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2011, 08:19:09 PM »
Perhaps try using a nail punch, or something, as I think you'll have to cut a hole in them rather than just poke one.  Otherwise, I suspect they won't really drain properly (the silicon will sort of close up).  I could be quite wrong on that though.  I have visions of them flattening under the pressing weights, but the weight shouldn't be on the molds themselves but on the followers.  Will be interesting to see how this works out.  If you get them to work, it opens up all sorts of interesting shapes that could be used.

- Jeff

Cloversmilker

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2011, 09:10:07 PM »
A leather hole punch might work with silicon. 

JeffHamm

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2011, 09:22:23 PM »
Yes, a leather punch would be even better.

- Jeff

Offline Vina

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • Default personal text
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 03:35:57 PM »
Ian,
thanks for sharing this :)
Today I tried my version of BB. I did quite similar to yours. Only as moulds I used small plastic coffee cups and I covered each 'Bell' with cheesecloth and improvised lead cut from yogurt cups.
After 20 min I flipped each cheese, stacked cups by 2, replaced the board and jug. Now they are pressing.

p.s. can I attach a picture here? I only see 'quick reply'...

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Ian
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2012, 06:03:59 PM »
Vina,

No problem, I am glad to share.  I am still looking into finding better molds my self, I haven't had time to look to much lately.  I have not made any cheese since November.  sounds like you are on track.

You should be able to post a picture using the reply button on the bottom of this.  They you get "Attachemts and other options next to you + symbol.  You can add pictures there.  I hope this helps

mightyjesse

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2012, 08:01:40 PM »
I just ordered a bunch of these and will give them a try with mini cheeses when they're not hard at work making shaped eggses for my daughter...

http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Egg-Mold-Heart-Star/dp/B002TZ04GO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1326743718&sr=8-3

Offline Vina

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • Default personal text
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2012, 09:23:46 PM »
:) well ... I finally found that magic button 'REPLY' :)
at the moment I have problems with my camera, hope to solve this out tomorrow.

MrsKK

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 04:19:32 PM »
We are able to buy 2 ounce plastic Solo cups here - we use them in the bathroom for mouthwash, etc.

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Ian
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2012, 05:35:25 PM »
We are able to buy 2 ounce plastic Solo cups here - we use them in the bathroom for mouthwash, etc.

I have never thought of those, I am going to look this weekend for them( I am almost out of Dixie Cups.  I am itching to make something and I think I have time to make some minis.

mightyjesse

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2012, 03:57:02 PM »
Though a bit more expensive than Solo cups, the egg molds seem to be sturdier and come in cute shapes.... (Bear and Bunny also available just in case I ever have TROUBLE getting my kid to eat cheese...) If I do this regularly, I think I'll drill more holes in the "bottom" side of the mold so that I get more whey drainage.

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Ian
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2012, 02:54:46 AM »
Those look great, I still have not found time to look at other moulds for them.  I am liking the ideas I am getting here.  I made a batch yesterday, but I still used dixie cups.  I am hoping to get some pictures up soon.  Things are kind of hectic with a colicky six week old in the house. And a cheese for you.

mightyjesse

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2012, 02:41:48 PM »
Made more mini cheeses (edam this time, instead of cheddar). Edam has so much shrinkage after the initial molding stage that it doesn't end up looking very good in these molds, based on the way (whey) I used them. I have a couple other variations in mind to try, but will have to get back to this later... I hear you on the time factor, though cheesing is getting easier now that my daughter is approaching 2... The only trouble being that now she wants to "halp." After last night's adventures in mold filling (she helped with the baby edams, which she described as, "Baby's Cheese!") we had to have another bath to get all the curds out of our hair... But she loves that the pressing weights for these are light enough that I will let her set them in place.

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Ian
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2012, 03:35:11 PM »
I can relate, my son like to help, he is six.  He just wants to cut the curd, all the steps before and afterwards are "Dad's Job" as he told his mother the other day.  I used culture instead of home made sour cream this time.  I have put mine in my cave for a bit to see what happens.  I did add some habeneros to three of them as a test.

MrsKK

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2012, 05:08:42 PM »
Ah, so glad to not have children underfoot while I'm making cheese!

I love my children and my grandchildren, but am just as glad to not have any "halp"!  DH asks if I need anything now and again.  Not that he really wants to help anyway...

mightyjesse

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2012, 05:39:03 PM »
Indeed the "halp" takes longer, but I'll admit to being a little thrilled every time my 22 month old hears the microwave timer beep and yells, "CHEESE BOOP, MAMA!" with glee before running into the kitchen to see what the curds have got up to... Makes me feel like I'm teaching her wholesome "life skills" or something.  8)