Author Topic: How dry for Lemon/Orange Cheese  (Read 3475 times)

ellenspn

How dry for Lemon/Orange Cheese
« on: September 24, 2011, 12:50:46 AM »
I used the Lemon/Orange Cheese recipe in Home Cheesemaking.  1/2 gal P/H whole milk brought it up slowly to 204 and then added the juice of 3 lemons and 3 oranges.

I then drained it in a cheesecloth lined "ricotta" basket from Mad Millie for about an hour.  I produced a quite cumbly mixture I blended in a little salt and mixed herbs.

Question I have is it supposed to be so dry?  It pretty much crumbles into little bits.

Cheese Head

Re: How dry for Lemon/Orange Cheese
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 03:05:56 PM »
How dry you make this unaged cheese is a function of how much whey you expel which is a function of how much acid you add and at the temp you cook before draining and forming in your mold. Less juice/lower temp should result in moister cheese.

Only direct acid cheese I've made is Queso Blanco which from the pictures you can see was moister.

That said, there is no right way and I think your Lemon & Orange Direct Acid Fresh Herbed Cheese looks great, and probably is way tastier than my Queso Blanco was!

ellenspn

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 07:15:57 PM »
How dry you make this unaged cheese is a function of how much whey you expel which is a function of how much acid you add and at the temp you cook before draining and forming in your mold. Less juice/lower temp should result in moister cheese.

Only direct acid cheese I've made is Queso Blanco which from the pictures you can see was moister.

That said, there is no right way and I think your Lemon & Orange Direct Acid Fresh Herbed Cheese looks great, and probably is way tastier than my Queso Blanco was!

IMNSHO Queso Blanco is like tofu, it absorbs flavors rather than has one itself.

It is quite good.  I like it better than straight lemon cheese and the orange gives it an appealing color to boot.  Still it's pretty bland unless you add herbs and wow, this combination of herbs is wonderful  ;D

susanky

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 12:18:21 PM »
wow, this combination of herbs is wonderful  ;D

So what herbs did you use?!
Susan

ellenspn

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 04:10:55 PM »
It's the mixed herbs I got with my Mad Millie kit. It contains sage, thyme, marjoram, basil, and I can see and taste rosemary even though the package doesn't list it.

ellenspn

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 07:52:17 PM »
Making another batch of this today for a friend who just closed on a house last weekend and are in the midst of painting!  Just so awesome.  This is the same friend who got me into cheesemaking more seriously.

Pictures later, it's draining now.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 10:19:25 PM »
Ah no wonder it was good you turned it into an Italian cheese!  ;D