Author Topic: Cambozola Recipe, Book "200 Easy Homemade Cheeses" - 50% Cream!?  (Read 5398 times)

wendygai

Cambozola Recipe, Book "200 Easy Homemade Cheeses" - 50% Cream!?
« on: September 24, 2011, 11:23:48 PM »
The recipe here says 4 litres milk and 4 litres cream, I tried making yesterday following instruction, the curd ended up as mush, but forged ahead and I seem to have set rounds today..lets see what ripening brings.
Has anyone tried this recipe with success or should it be 7 part milk to 1 part cream as I have since read?

linuxboy

Re: Cambozola Recipe, Book "200 Easy Homemade Cheeses" - 50% Cream!?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 11:48:57 PM »
That's a huge amount of cream. Cambozola should be PF of .6-.7 if you want it rich. 7:1 is more reasonable.

Offline fied

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 08:47:08 AM »
I haven't made Cambozola, but have made soft, creamy blues. The most cream I've used was an experimental 7: 1 of double cream. That gave a still workable, if soft curd set. I wouldn't try for a higher ratio because, as you say, the curds might end up mushy.

I'll be interested to hear about your final cheese, though.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 09:20:48 PM by fied »

anutcanfly

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 09:08:04 PM »
That recipe has thwarted me several times now.  Mushy curd, poor drainage, and the white mold keeps filling in the holes I punch for the blue mold.  The final result is a bloomy rind on both the outside and all thru the inside, and no blue at all.  It was so peppery it burnt my mouth!  If someone is successful with it, please do post what you did!  I'm going to have another go at it with the 7:1 ration recommended, and this time I'll spray the white mold on the cheese after I've punched the holes for the blue.  Hopefully this will give the blue mold a chance to develop!

Offline fied

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 09:18:12 PM »
There's a recipe here that you might find useful:

http://cheeseforum.org/articles/wiki-cambozola-cheese-making-recipe/

anutcanfly

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 10:32:34 PM »
Thank you.  It's always helpful to have several versions of the same recipe to compare...

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 06:04:42 AM »
I'd like to try this cheese as well. The cream line milk I just found looks pretty close to 7:1 ratio. I'll probably just use it as is and be okay.

The recipe in 200 Easy Cheeses does indeed say 4 liters milk and 4 liters cream. Wow! Anyone contemplating this cheese style should redline that recipe so they don't waste their time or money.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

anutcanfly

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 04:53:25 PM »
Mary Karlin's new book Artisan Cheese Making at Home says the same thing 1/2 milk & 1/2 heavy cream, but I notice she calls for twice the rennet.  It's a pain being new sometimes!  There is no book that will substitute for a lack of experience and heavy cream is expensive! :(

linuxboy

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 05:35:59 PM »
Eh, people tend to copy from each other. Without disparaging anyone, I think there's quite a bit of that around without people really understanding what they're doing or why. I can tell you from chem eval that commercial cambozola is most definitely NOT 1/2 cream, 1/2 milk. Already posted better PF. Hope it works for you :)

anutcanfly

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 09:38:53 PM »
I'm running a batch tomorrow with the 7:1 ratio.  I'll post on how it goes.  At least it will be cheaper if I blow it!  :)

anutcanfly

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 08:35:08 PM »
So far so good!   I got curds instead of slush!  :) They were fragile though.
I used the suggestion of a 7:1 ratio of milk and cream. I used an amalgam of several recipes and am going to add of few changes of my own later...

14 cups whole milk
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 tsp MM100
1/4 tsp calcium chloride
1/4 tsp rennet (single strength)

ripened for 30 minutes at 86 degrees

Added rennet and let sit for 1 1/2 hours.   (I kept checking every 15 minutes as the flocculation of 8 minutes suggested the curd would be ready in 45 minutes, but it really did take the full amount of time listed in the recipe) 

cut curd into 1/2 inch cubes and let rest 5 minutes, stirred 5 minutes, rest 5 minutes.

Drained curds and let sit covered in colander for 20 minutes

Filled molds halfway and sprinkled 1/8 tsp blue mold on top then fill in the rest.

Drained 6 hours, flipped, then let sit overnight

In the morning I unmolded, and salted with 1/2 tsp each side of each cheese

It's now in a ripening box in my cheesecave.

I plan to poke holes through it in about 3 days, then I will inoculate the exterior with white mold.  Hopefully this will give the blue mold a head start.

Will post more as they progress. Crossing my finger and my toes!  ^-^

wendygai

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 08:38:23 PM »
Thanks all, I will give the 7:1 a go. I would be interested if anyone manages to get blue to grow.

On my first batch it was edible at 4 weeks as a very strong and not unpleasant type of camembert, as it got older became to bitter and unpleasant. only one tiny speck of blue in one wheel...wont do a 1/2 and 1/2 again! :o

anutcanfly

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 11:50:39 PM »
Hi Wendygai,

The cambozola I started during this thread came out great.  Nice thread of blue through the middle.  Look up the thread I posted "cambozola for the 4th time".  The details are there.  I would suggest less salt, as a 1/2 tsp per side was a bit much.  I would also reduce the PC used to 1/16 tsp. 

Anut  :)

wendygai

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 06:59:16 AM »
thanks Anut

I will give it a go :)

anutcanfly

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 03:36:22 PM »
 :) Good luck wendygai!  I think this cheese is worth the extra trouble it's been.  :P