Author Topic: Lipase Shelf Life  (Read 3812 times)

dobster

Lipase Shelf Life
« on: September 10, 2011, 01:23:19 AM »
I was going to try a mozzarella recipe with lipase with some friends in the next day or so, but my lipase powder has been sittting on a shelf (sealed/unopened) for 1 year. I don't have time to order new bottle.  I'm getting conflicting info on shelf life - I thought it only needed to be frozen once opened, but I've read otherwise.  Does it spoil, or just lose potency?  I know I can make a mozzarella without it, but I'm probably going to do more of a quickie have-fun-with-guests batch instead of a longer, thermophilic-added batch, and the lipase will give it a little flavor.

I was also wondering about using goat milk instead of cow.  Didn't seem to find anything on the boards here. Anyone with experience?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Tomer1

Re: Lipase Shelf Life
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 11:00:41 AM »
Im not sure it will have much effect in mozz which its eaten fresh.
It does lose potency when not stored cold\frozen.
You can just double the dose, it wont do much since the cheese is not aged.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 07:22:01 PM »
TASTE
Tomer1 is correct, if Mozz is eaten fresh then Lipase should have minimal impact, see Sailor's post here. However if you age it is should have some effect. That said I add it to my cow's milk Feta's to give it that piquant flavour and I can taste the difference when eaten straight after making, at 1-2 days so it must go to work quickly. FYI my first Feta make was without Lipase and cheese just had a salty milk flavour, boring.

REQUIRED WHEN USING GOAT'S MILK
I don't make mozz type cheeses so haven;t looked for this questionn in that Board, but there are many posts on using goat milk for making Feta in the Brine Aged Board and the general consensus is if using goat milk for Feta then you don't need Lipase. Then again depend on how much of a piquant taste you want.

SHELF LIFE
Depends as you said on how it is stored both before you, during shipping, and by the end user. There's some info in the Manufacturers Product Data Sheets in our Library. Quick look shows:
  • Rhodia sheet says: "Refrigeration temperatures for less than 2 months. Frozen storage for 6 months."
  • Sacco - Caglificio Clerici sheet says: "The product is sensitive to heat and light. The product tolerates room temperature for periods shorter than one month. To maintain the whole characteristics, store at –18°C also for a long period (12 months). Product not frozen."
Mine came in a silver foil air and light type plastic pouch, not a bottle. So I would say your 1 year old room temp sealed bottle is way out of date. That said why not do an experiment with say double the dosage and let us know the flavour results in this Lipase - Shelf Life thread?

Hope helps!

Tomer1

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 08:03:28 PM »
If your pastuerizing your milk (whether cow\goat\sheep) at 73c or above enzymes are deactivated so lipase (if that flavour is required) should be added.