Author Topic: Is it possible to make mozzarella from store brought milk?  (Read 12661 times)

RenaissanceM

Is it possible to make mozzarella from store brought milk?
« on: September 25, 2011, 05:12:03 AM »
I'd like to know if anyone had any real success in making properly stretchy mozzarella cheese from your typical homogenized and pasteurized (at least to 176 F) store brand milk?

Despite countless efforts and proper monitoring of drainage and final ph for fresh mozzarella, I'm unable to get proper stretch. The cheese barely stretches during kneading and looks like underdeveloped bread dough with minor tears on the surface (for those who have some knowledge in bread making).

I'm just wondering if the homogenization and high temp pasteurization are ruining the casein too much for it to develop enough bonds to make a strong and long stretch.

My only alternative at this point is to give up making mozzarella from the store brand milk and give it a try with non-homogenized but pasteurized at 176 F milk (which cost twice as much as the store brand).

Thanks

JeffHamm

Re: Is it possible to make mozzarella from store brought milk?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 05:23:30 AM »
I've not had any real success, but I've only tried once or twice. 

- Jeff

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 03:50:05 PM »
I tried with several different brands of p/h milk last spring and never had any luck, even when adding CaCl.  It was the worst when I used veggie rennet, and only a mild soft curd that drained out into a low-fat cream cheese type product when I used calf rennet.

You might try making a small batch with the pasturized creamline milk.  Where are you located?  Here in Wisconsin, the information I found was that p/h storebought milk is homogenized (aerosolized) while at 176 degrees...the local dairy that makes the organic creamline milk pasturizes at 145 degrees.  It works fine for hard cheeses, mozzarella and the like.  I still add CaCl for a firmer curd, though.

RenaissanceM

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 04:02:28 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I'm located in Canada (as you may know), a country that is illegal to sell or purchase raw milk (however buying alcohol and tobacco are perfectly legal!). It's an example of the government treating it's citizens like children.

I was only able to find one dairy that does small batches of unhomogenized (past. to 176 F) however it's too far for me to buy it directly, and buying it from the supplier cost twice as much as store brand milk.

I won't bother making any mozz from store brand any more. I (and my wallet) thank you.

dthelmers

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 04:04:36 PM »
I made a batch from powdered milk with cream added, it was fine.

dttorun

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 05:00:57 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I'm located in Canada (as you may know), a country that is illegal to sell or purchase raw milk (however buying alcohol and tobacco are perfectly legal!). It's an example of the government treating it's citizens like children.

I was only able to find one dairy that does small batches of unhomogenized (past. to 176 F) however it's too far for me to buy it directly, and buying it from the supplier cost twice as much as store brand milk.

I won't bother making any mozz from store brand any more. I (and my wallet) thank you.

I have the same problem(s); Mozzarella failure twice with similar results and living in Canada. I gave up on Mozzarella after two attempts but had fairly good results with halloumi.
Tan

RenaissanceM

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 05:09:04 PM »
I might try using powdered, or skim milk mixed with cream. Even though for cost effectiveness sake it may end up being the same price as the non-homogenized milk. Thanks for the suggestion Dave. I can see how that might work as the fat is removed from the skim milk and none of the fat gets attached to the caseins (as the case is during homogenization).

I had great success with halloumi as well despite the type of milk.

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Ian
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 09:09:09 PM »
I feel your pain, living in "Cattle Country" of Alberta, it is hard to find decent milk. Out of the 10 times I have tried, I have had two successes with store bought p/h milk, and they were "ok".  I did get good mozzarella some milk from Vital Green Dairy out of Picture Butte Alberta, they low heat pasteurize, and it is whole milk, not homogenized.  If I can remember, it was about $14 for 4Litres at Earth's General Store in Edmonton.

Have you tired Goat milk?  Happy Days Goat Dairy low heat pasteurizes and may work better.  I have yet to try it, I have to add this to the list too.

adalton

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 09:24:58 PM »
I have made mozzarella with store bought milk many times with great success.  The day I buy my milk is the day I make it.  I use whole milk and my procedure is for one gallon.  Heat milk slowly to 88 degrees F, add calcium chloride diluted with distilled water and sprinkle in citric acid.  Once milk reaches 88 degrees I add rennet (I used tablet type).  I stir the rennet in an up in down motion for one minute.  Once the temperature reaches 105 degrees, I remove from heat and cover for 20 minutes. I don't do any curd cutting.  I scoop out curds into a microwave safe dish and expell as much whey as possible.  Heat curds on high for one minute, extract more whey, add salt and lightly kneed curds to incorporate the salt.  I then reheat curds for another minute, dumping out more whey, then kneed and stretch and done.  Below are my photos!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 06:33:48 PM by Cheesemkr »

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 11:03:47 PM »
Looks really nice and simple. Can you add the quantities of the various ingredients you use with the one gallon of milk? You know, how much Calcium Chloride? How much Citric Acid? How much of the Rennet tablet? etc.?

Thanks!

adalton

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 05:36:21 PM »
Sorry,

1 gallon whole milk

half a tablet of rennet dissolved in 1/4 cup cool distilled water.  Could probably use 1/4 tsp liquid rennet

1/2 tsp calcium chloride in 2 tbs distilled water

2 tsp citric acid no dilution sprinkle into milk

1 tsp kosher salt

Step one; Heat milk slowly while adding calcium chloride and citric acid

Step two; add rennet when milk reaches 88 degrees stir for about a minute in an up and down motion

Step three; when milk reaches 105 degrees remove from heat and cover for 20 minutes

Step four; retrieve curds and put in micro wave safe bowl and heat for one minute

Step five; drain off whey, add salt and lightly kneed to incorporate salt

Step six; reheat for another minute, drain, kneed stretch and shape

Please let me know if you need more detail.

Andy

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 10:17:20 PM »
Andy, Do you continue heating after you add the rennet or wait until the curds are set before heating to 105?

Tobiasrer

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 11:58:19 PM »
I have had success with mozza from store bougt milk, I didnt have any calcium chlorode. I think My yeild was alittle low but was a success all the same.

adalton

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 12:29:41 AM »
I continue to heat to 105 degrees, once I hit that temp I remove from heat and cover for 20 minutes or so.  Once I end up with that raft of curd floating in the whey I am done. 

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 07:27:54 PM »
Normally, you should maintain a constant temperature after adding rennet until the milk has set. But if it works for you, keep on doing it. :)