Author Topic: Is it possible to make mozzarella from store brought milk?  (Read 12759 times)

dttorun

Re: Is it possible to make mozzarella from store brought milk?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 07:44:39 PM »

Step four; retrieve curds and put in micro wave safe bowl and heat for one minute

Andy,
Are you using microwave oven at any step?
Thanks,
Tan

adalton

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 11:45:57 PM »
Sailor,  Correct me if I'm wrong, but in this particular way, the curds don't get cut and right about 88 degrees when the rennet is going to get added there is already a tremendous amount of coagulation almost like a cottage cheese consistency.  I have noticed that this way produces a much firmer mozzarella where as the curd cut method I always end up with a softer curd.  However I add more rennet this way, which I believe that and the acid gives a much firmer curd.

Andy

adalton

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2011, 01:39:21 AM »
Yes I do use a microwave, but sometimes I have done the hot water bath method to with good results.  As all microwaves differ I heat mine for a minute, then dump off more whey, add salt then microwave again for a minute, dump off more whey if needed, then begin kneading until it stretches, gets glossy and then I shape it.  I have made knots, braids, and balls.

Andy