Author Topic: Acidity levels in Provolone and Mozzarella cheese  (Read 4394 times)

Ross

Acidity levels in Provolone and Mozzarella cheese
« on: September 27, 2011, 05:52:43 AM »
I have tried my hand at culture based Mozzarella and Provolone and have had a problem with reaching the correct PH level. I can only get to 5.7 and it won't move from there, stretches about 1/4 inch (5mm)then breaks, How do I get the PH lower,acidity higher, so I can get the correct stretch?
I am using store bought  pasteurised , homogenised whole milk and a YC-380 Thermophilic DVS culture at 1/8  tsp to 10ltrs of milk(about 2.5 gal)
Any suggestions   
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 10:15:31 AM by NZcheesemkr »

RenaissanceM

Re: Acidity levels in Provolone and Mozzarella cheese
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 03:23:19 PM »
I started a thread  few days ago : http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,8251.0.html                 , which somewhat deals with the topic. I'm afraid the ph may not be your only issue. Even if you get the right ph at the end you mozzarella will still not stretch properly with the homogenized and pasteurized (usually over 176 F for the stores).

My suggestion re: the ph is that perhaps your not maintaining the proper temperature for the type of culture that you are using. Usually direct set cultures start off slow and then accelerate exponentially. Try to use two different thermometers. If temp. is not the issue then perhaps your milk is contaminated with something else that is interfering with your lactic acid bacteria. Hope this helps.

Tomer1

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 08:33:26 PM »
The culture type is fine, something is wrong with your make (temp seems probalbe).
Or you could try increasing the dosage of your culture.

"How do I get the PH higher so I can get the correct stretch?"
You mean getting the acidity higher,getting the PH lower...

Ross

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 08:26:05 AM »
Thanks for the response Tomer1 , Yes, I do mean higher acidity and the  PH lower, and to RenaissanceM, I will look into a different milk source. I have read of using some buttermilk in the mix also, so will give that a go as well.