Author Topic: Culture Suppliers - Recommedations  (Read 971 times)

janij

Culture Suppliers - Recommedations
« on: September 28, 2011, 11:25:29 PM »
Hi all.  I usually use buttermilk and yogurt for starters, but I would like to get some direct set starters.  Besides Heoggers, Lehman's (sp) and NE Supply who sells cheese starters, rennet and stuff.  I have most of my equipment. I have been making cheese for about a yr.  I have not gotten into ph testing as of yet but have been having good results. I want something I can use to start hard cheese, sour cream, soft cheese etc.  Thanks.

sgshoemaker09

Re: Culture Suppliers - Recommedations
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 12:36:10 AM »
I just put an order with Glengarry for some cultures and the reusable plasticy cheesecloth.

Overall it was okay, definitely good value if you order the larger 100g packages of starter.

The shipping was quite expensive even within Ontario, and took a while, and they messed up my order (sent me the wrong sized cheesecloth), and it took several emails and a phone call to get it straightened out finally, almost two weeks later. But they did send me the right sizes and let me keep the 5 wrong sized ones I got. So for that I would order from them again.

You can also get supplies from cultures for health, and thecheesemaker.com.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 02:33:38 AM »
Hi janij, our global listing of supply stores is on our website, reviews of Supply Stores are in the Supply Stores Reviews Board.

psearle

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 06:27:58 AM »
Hi Janig

You might also take a gamble and phone some suppliers to large cheesemaking businesses.  A couple of weeks ago I set out to get some disposable, blue cheesecloth.  Google showed me a small company selling supplies to the trade in my own town so I rang them and asked if they would sell me 5 or 10 metres of 14" cloth.  They said they couldn't do this as they had no way to price it - they sell the cloth by the kilogram!  They had a "roll end" of half a kilo they could sell me; the price was £5.10 including tax so I said I'd go round right away.  I now have what looks to be well over 100 yards of quality cloth which should last me for quite a while! 

Good luck

Peter

janij

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 05:48:23 PM »
Thanks for the link and info.  I will go and seek now!