Author Topic: Tiny Cheeses - Recommendations Please  (Read 2612 times)

sgshoemaker09

Tiny Cheeses - Recommendations Please
« on: September 28, 2011, 01:27:52 AM »
I am relatively new to cheese-making, and I would like to try my hand at a new cheese the problem is that i can't think of one that really fits my criteria. I want to be able to send it for my kids lunches. They both like cheese but nothing too strange, I don't think they would go for anything surface ripened LOL. Although my youngest (4) LOVED the feta I made which I was kind of surprised as it is quite...sharp.

I would like it to be something that I can make in the plastic tumblers/molds that I made which stack, so they are fun individual sized cheeses (think babybel sized), rather than something that needs to be pressed. Also, I would like it to be something that i can make over the weekend and send with them on Monday.

So, I guess what I am looking for is a semi-soft/hard cheese that can be eaten young, and doesn't need any pressing weight, or just the weight that it would get from having several cups of cheese stacked on top of it. Not looking for much, eh?

Any ideas?

Please and thank you.  ;D

smilingcalico

Re: Tiny Cheeses - Recommendations Please
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 01:56:20 AM »
An unripened camembert minus the bloomy surface might do the trick.  It's a bit tart, but good flavor. 

Cloversmilker

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 03:54:04 AM »
Did you see this thread? 
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,8237.msg57672.html#msg57672
Could you use your molds instead of the Dixie cups?

sgshoemaker09

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 01:09:16 PM »
Yes, I did see that one which is what got me thinking about using these cups for molds as they are "disposable" but not paper like a dixie cup, but I couldn't find it again.

Thanks for the link.

Maybe I will try something like that, although I don't have sour cream at the moment, I wonder if clabber would work.

iratherfly

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 05:33:22 PM »
You can certainly do fresh goat cheese medallions over a weekend, or do the same with cow's milk and get kind of c hybrid fromage blanc and cream cheese in one. You can also do a Queso Fresco / Queso Blanco type.  Another quick one to meke is of course Mozzarella. Most great flavored cheeses take time to age however... it's basic biology of cheese.

As for the rind and bloom -they say that it's only strange if someone has the cognitive perception that it is.  As kids growing in a very cheese-positive household we were always told that this is the velvet or the good/best part of the cheese. We used to fight over the rind. To date, I still find it to be the best part of it...

CowDung

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 07:19:45 PM »
Up here in Wisconsin, cheese curds are a popular snack.

They can be made over the weekend, and are best when fresh.

Here are links to a couple of recipes.

http://www.leeners.com/cheesemaking-recipe-squeeky-cheese-curds.html

http://www.cheesemaking.com/Recipe_CheeseCurds.html

dthelmers

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 08:47:33 PM »
Also, Linuxboy's recipe at www.wacheese.com

Cheese Head

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 10:05:43 PM »
My vote is for Queso Fresco as simple fresh tasty cheese that can be eaten unripened but normally needs pressing or cute Maltese Ġbejna (Gozo) Cheeses, my make records here.

sgshoemaker09

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 10:24:30 PM »
Sorry I should have mentioned we already do mozzarella "string cheese" which they love, just gets repetative.

I have made Queso Fresco, once, and it was an epic fail LOL, I know what I did wrong, but am still hesistant to try it again. Part of the reason is my HORRIBLE press that I wasted too much money on on ebay. And part of the reason was I didn't cook the curds long enough so it was very very moist with a distinct bitter taste.

@ John, that Gbejna cheese looks very interesting, thank you for sharing the link. Is it very crumbly or would it be okay for a 4 year old to handle without making too much mess?

@ Cowdung LOL I smiled when I saw "up here" cause you are south of me. I snuck some curds the last (and only) time I made cheddar and they were awesome. I grew up on cheese curds practically as we lived right next door to a cheese factory in southern Ontario and they made the BEST curds.

@ iratherfly, I have never tried fromage blanc, but I imagine it would be quite soft? Or could it be eaten as a finger food? Although I could always send crackers and have them scoop the cheese. Thanks for the idea!

Sarah

dthelmers

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 11:58:02 PM »
What sort of press did you buy?

sgshoemaker09

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 12:28:46 AM »
One of those screw down ones with the pvc molds. The "screw" isn't even straight which inevitably leads to lopsided cheese, and more than once the follower slipping out from underneath. It's been frustrating to say the least.

Waiting on hubs to build me a dutch style press. Hint hint LOL

iratherfly

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 04:44:59 AM »
Sarah, Fromage Blanc is almost the same as Quark; It's a soft spreadable cheese. Not as dense as cream cheese but more the consistency of sour cream. It can be eaten on its own with a spoon, eaten with olives,  pickles and herbs on a bread, or mixed with jam or lemon curd -or fruits, like yogurt. There are some terrific cheesecake recipes with it, it can be used in dips or as substitute for cottage cheese. It's delicious and simple.  Fromage Blanc or Quark are very common in northern Europe and the Mediterranean.  Being soft and spreadable also mean an extremely high yield! 40%-50% of your milk ends up as cheese. Nice!

P.S
I have seen some people mix the name up with Queso Blanco which in Spanish literally means the same thing as Fromage Blanc in French: "white cheese".  There is absolutely no connection between the two.

CowDung

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 01:39:43 PM »

@ Cowdung LOL I smiled when I saw "up here" cause you are south of me. I snuck some curds the last (and only) time I made cheddar and they were awesome. I grew up on cheese curds practically as we lived right next door to a cheese factory in southern Ontario and they made the BEST curds.

Ooops--I didn't realize that you were one of our neighbors to the North. One of the best things about Canada for me is enjoying poutine with curds...