Author Topic: "Brie" like President brand stabilized  (Read 7547 times)

dthelmers

"Brie" like President brand stabilized
« on: September 29, 2011, 01:41:27 PM »
Several of my family members are asking me to make them Brie just like President brand from the supermarket. This is a high cream content stabilized product with pc on the outside, but it never actually softens and ripens the cheese.
I know that this is not the real thing, but it is very popular with my family, baked inside puff pastry. and they want me to start making it for them regularly.
Can some one give me instructions on how to make this?
Thanks!

linuxboy

Re: "Brie" like President brand stabilized
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 03:13:56 PM »
This is a high cream content
[edit]: I looked this up, you're right, FDM is 60%. use cream per below.
If you have to make it and aren't using retentate:

TA 50 series at 1%-1.25%
PC Neige
92-94F
delta to rennet .1 (usually at 6.5-6.55)
.01-.015 CaCl2
6x floc
Because it's not retentate, get that moisture down, cut to 1", heal 5-10 mins, stir for 10-15 mins
drain @ 6.3-6.35
Flip to help drain. When pH hits 5.0, brine 20 mins per side.

That's about it.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 04:13:01 PM by linuxboy »

dthelmers

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 03:25:55 PM »
Thanks!
I have no objections to making something better than that product, but I need something with that texture the kids love. I thought it was high fat, but I was fooled by the "Double Creme". I thought they meant double cream, but "creme" is something else. UF, should have guessed.
I understand that a higher cream content will change the texture of pc ripened cheese, keeping it from getting soft and runny. Any suggestions on proportion of cream to whole milk on this? I"d like to make something better than the storebought, but have to stay in the range of that texture: firm  until baked, then quite gooey, not much aroma.
Thanks again!

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 03:32:04 PM »
IIRC, it is higher cream than normal, but not drastically so. Use 1 cup cream per gallon milk, or a little less. Should get you pretty close.

dthelmers

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 03:35:50 PM »
Thanks, as always, for your help. I believe that your knowledge is only exceeded by your generosity in sharing it. You're making a cheesemaker of me.

dthelmers

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 03:48:13 PM »
Is the TA 50 very different than the TA 60?

linuxboy

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 03:52:20 PM »
It's a little slower and makes a slightly tighter paste. Use 60 if you have it, results will be really close.

mbox

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 12:55:15 AM »
This is a high cream content
[edit]: I looked this up, you're right, FDM is 60%. use cream per below.
If you have to make it and aren't using retentate:

TA 50 series at 1%-1.25%
PC Neige
92-94F
delta to rennet .1 (usually at 6.5-6.55)
.01-.015 CaCl2
6x floc
Because it's not retentate, get that moisture down, cut to 1", heal 5-10 mins, stir for 10-15 mins
drain @ 6.3-6.35
Flip to help drain. When pH hits 5.0, brine 20 mins per side.

That's about it.

I am quite keen to learn that too...but my mothertongue ain't english and i have it a bit difficult to understand the abbreviations used.  May i ask if you have some sort of Bord acronym key for laymen/beginner- cheesemaker such as me? I don't really know what TA stands for in the above one...every so often i find on other threads abbreviations i do not understand also.

thx, mbox

linuxboy

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 01:25:11 AM »
May i ask if you have some sort of Bord acronym key for laymen/beginner- cheesemaker such as me?
No clue. You can find all of these by searching google. for example "fdm cheese"

TA is danisco's S thermophilus salivarius culture line.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 03:34:20 AM »
Sorry I've been away so long.....work is just starting to be reasonable hours now and the travel is dwindling.

Use TA50 or STAM, in conjunction with MM100 or MA4001.  Heat milk to 102F.  Ripen to 0.15 delta pH.  Cut curd quite small, should shrink up to slightly larger than a shelled peanut.  Drain in a warm room (70F) until 5.2pH is reached.  Brine to arrest pH drop.

If you stop draining at 5.0 you really run the risk of texture problems because the pH will continue to drop a bit until the cold brine and chiller has stopped it completely.

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 08:19:55 AM »
This thread is a little old but I'll see how I go...

Is STAM basically the same as TA50?

NVD.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 02:30:06 PM »
Several of my family members are asking me to make them Brie just like President brand from the supermarket. This is a high cream content stabilized product with pc on the outside, but it never actually softens and ripens the cheese.
I know that this is not the real thing, but it is very popular with my family, baked inside puff pastry. and they want me to start making it for them regularly.
Thanks!
Hey, Dave, how'd this ever turn out?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

linuxboy

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 02:31:18 PM »
Is STAM basically the same as TA50?
Very close. It's a touch faster.

dthelmers

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 03:46:57 PM »
Thanks!
Hey, Dave, how'd this ever turn out?

-Boofer-
I haven't tried it yet. I made a more conventional Chaource from Iratherfly's recipe, and it cam out pretty good, although it needed a bit lower temp and ammoniated slightly, but still good. All I had on hand was neige, and that was too aggressive for the cave I had it in. I've been waiting for space and spring milk to do more. Just set up a freezer with  Johnson controller so I'll have more space; the little fridge has been too full with Caerphillies with various tweaks, a couple of cheddars, and a parm that's going a year and a half.
After making the Chaource, I'm pretty convinced that using good milk and a more traditional make is better than the stabilized product; but I think I'll give it a go anyway since this thread got revived.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 01:43:36 PM »
Alright! New life for old threads! Sounds like something from the Dark Ages.

I hope you do make it. I don't think I've seen anyone do a Brie here. Okay, maybe one, and that one was so floppy I think it broke in two.

Should be a challenge.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.