Author Topic: Wax, Red - Results In Pink Blotched Rind > Waxing Merits vs Vacuum Bagging Discussion  (Read 4646 times)

CdnMorganGal

Sailor, thank you - I was about to post a question concerning vacuum-sealing vs waxing and now I dont need to!

Luckyksc

Thank you for the explanation.  That makes more seance.  I do worry a bit about the plastic issues too as one poster stated but it was my understanding that plastic only leaches when it is heated up.  Not likely to happen with aging cheese.  I have checked out a book at the library that is recommend as more "technical" by people on the board.  That will hopefully help me understand more.  I will look for some of the threads that talk about aging.  Maybe I can ask for a vacuum packer for christmas.  For now I will use up my wax and eat my pink cheese.  ^-^

Luckyksc

Here is what the people I ordered the cheese wax said "the red wax color is a food safe product and may stain some cheese depending on butterfat content. I prefer the clear wax, not only due to the color transfer but also because I can see the cheese underneath for mold growth" So I guess it is the the way it is.  No more red wax for me!

Sailor Con Queso

Red and black wax contain a dye. Yellow does not.