Author Topic: 15 Gallon Farmhouse Cheddar  (Read 12887 times)

Tea

Re: 15 Gallon Farmhouse Cheddar
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2009, 08:57:37 PM »
Well I have to admit that this hasn't happened to me, but I think if it is still leaking whey at that rate, that I would take off the wax, and let dry for, well I probably would start with a 3 day minimum, and see what that did.  Maybe the larger wheels just need longer to drain/dry than usual.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2009, 12:42:09 AM »
Oh, i'm sure they need to drain longer and I went 5 days I think, I thought that was enough, but then again I was being impatient. I just finished modifying my wax dipper so maybe I'll do that.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2009, 01:39:54 AM »
Tea, I went ahead and took off the wax, it came off easy as there was a ton of liquid in there. For such a big cheese I definately need to let it weep for probably a week in a my cave 55F 85% that way the rind won't form and whey can still excape. The smell of the whey was really nasty. Might be normal but don't know. A few chunks of the wheel came off with the wax, but that allowed me to examine the cheese. It's crumbly but still creamy when mashed. Before I waxed it originally it was still weeping a little so that tells me it wasn't ready. I hope next time I can tell if it's going to be ready.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2009, 03:15:50 AM »
The chunk missing from pulling wax is so wet I wonder if I should remill this cheddar and repress? Anyone think this is a good idea?

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2009, 09:23:04 AM »
I put in on a drain board at an angle in my cave and it's still leaking whey. Next time i will put on a drain board at an angle in my cave until it stops leaking. I was going to make a big Stilton tomorrow but I'm going to make another Farmhouse to see if I can get it right.

wharris

« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2009, 02:33:45 PM »
I don't think re-milling is a good idea.  the fibers in the knit curd are set by now. 

Where you flipping this cheese daily? and if so, does it still weep from both top and bottom?  How long after the waxing did you notice the weeping?

I'm thinking that if the curd is crumbly, that perhaps next time the salt is pitched earlier,  thereby stopping acid production when the pH is a bit higher.

Speaking of,  would love to know the pH of the whey that is weeping out now.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2009, 07:41:37 PM »
Good idea Wayne, I'll see if there is enough to take a reading.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2009, 08:19:28 PM »
Ask and you shall recieve Wayne. There was about 3 oz. of whey in the pan this morning from the cheddar, it definately was not ready to be waxed, PH was 4.8.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2009, 11:33:18 PM »
So after much draining in the cave the cheddar has stopped leaking. I rewaxed it today. I screwed it up royaly as fas as being pretty, but the good part is some of the rind got cut off, which allowed me to see the inside, which is very creamy and moist. I only cut off a little and was surprised that the rind only goes down a few mm.

P.S. I believe I forgot to drain this cheese and thought the whey would naturally get expelled thorugh pressing. Also it's good to see that there are no voids, the knit was perfect despite the originaly cracks in the side.

wharris

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2009, 11:45:42 PM »
The curd looks really really good.  This will be much better than it looks.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2009, 11:49:06 PM »
I thought it looked good too, I was surprised, I'm gald you didn't see it waxed Wayne it would have given you nightmares. I think I've finally come up a waxing procedure.

LadyLiberty

« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2009, 12:08:21 AM »
Looks like Ratatouille, or one of his buddies got to your cheese, Carter!

:)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2009, 12:31:18 AM »
That's Remy's Brother. That movie is awesome but it's hard on the colon. When my GF and I watch it we pig out on cheese and crackers and wine the whole day. It goes down well but then a few hours later...ooooooooh too much cheese.

LadyLiberty

« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2009, 12:33:59 AM »
Too much cheese?  Is that possible??  :o

That's a great movie, Thom hasn't seen it, I should order it so he can see it.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2009, 12:37:56 AM »
Being the evniromental person you are Joy you should definately watch Wall-E.