Author Topic: Bulgarit cheese  (Read 8489 times)

Damaris

Bulgarit cheese
« on: September 30, 2011, 10:18:16 AM »
I am looking for how to make Bulgarit cheese, can someone tell me where to find it or post a recipe?

Thanks,
Damaris

linuxboy

Re: Bulgarit cheese
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 11:01:54 AM »
Use a feta or brinza recipe, and fuse it earlier and do not let it acidify as long so that it is more sliceable. And add in cream if you want the higher fat versions. It's basically Israeli feta.

iratherfly

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 08:52:29 PM »
Haha, In America they call it Bulgarian Feta. In Israel they call it Bulgarit which simply means Bulgarian, or Bulgarian cheese. In Bulgarian they call it Sirene. It's funny to note that there is a connection between the country of Bulgaria and this particular cheese being inoculated with L.Bulgaricus as the dominant starter bacteria, giving it more pronounced, sharp flavor and a drier more crumbly, dry texture. Typically it is brined longer than Greek Feta but aged/served/packed in less brine or no brine.

Apparently the French were researching human longevity in different nations and have connected the yogurt in Bulgaria to an especially long life expectancy in that nation. Upon isolating the thermophilic strain from the yogurt, they named it Lactobacillus Bulgaricus

Tomer1

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 01:42:35 PM »
Damaris, how did you came across this cheese (espacially the name...) ?

The "it" is a type of association form in hebrew.   like franch - fran-cit  , american - america-nit , denemark - denemark-it.

Tomer1

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 01:44:36 PM »
I made some high moisture feta (bulgarian style) from peter dixon's recipe
http://www.dairyfoodsconsulting.com/recipes_bulgarian.shtml

I brine a bit late (5.2 instead of 5.4-5.5).

Used a messo aromatic culture+some danon bio yogurt (0.25% each as bulk)

One is plain and the other is with dried tomatos I dried up this week its looking to be about 1 kg from 7kg of milk.
I hope it will harden considerably after I take it out from the saturated brine.

wafi

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 09:55:31 PM »
Hi I'm from Bulgaria and I make cheese in this recipe:

Bulgarian cheese - Sirene

milk /domestoc or bio/
bulgarian rennet
salt
bulgarian yogurt / not necessarily /
cheesecloth
thermometer
some weight

making

1. Measure exact amount of milk in liters. Pour it into a clean saucepan and heat to 35 C

2. For a better taste add optional 1 tablespoon yogurt for each liter of milk.

3. In 1 tablespoon of boiled water, dissolve yeast as described / 5-6 drops of yeast per liter of milk /.

4. Pour the dissolved yeast in the milk and mix well.

5. Milk topped with a lid and cover it with a blanket. Leave it for about 1 hour to 75 minutes or until light pressure with the finger come off the walls.

6. Cut cheese into cubes with clean knife size about 2 cm over the top and leave for another 20 minutes.

7. Gently stir and leave for another 15 minutes.

8. Pour cheese pre washed and scoured cheesecloth moistened with cold water. Tie it to something and let it drain for about 1 hour.

9. Squeeze it a little with your hands and bind tightly together to form a ball. Put it in a colander or tilted tray and push a weight. Leave it to pump 8 hours or 1 night.

10. Ready cheese from the cloth pulls. Rub with salt and can be consumed immediately.

11. If you want cheese solid / matured, to make brine for about 45 days at 10 C.

Brine - 1 liter of boiled water + 220 g of salt. The cheese stayed in it for 16 to 18 hours to be salted or 40-45 days to mature. Store in refrigerator. Before consumption soak for several hours in distilled water is not too salty.

wafi

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 04:37:04 PM »
If you are interested I will write the recipe for kashkaval.  ;)

HOPOIL

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 02:33:59 PM »
WAFI:
I think you may have a mis-print in your recipe.  Don't you mean "rennet" where you have the word "yeast" in steps 3 & 4?

Thank you for posting.  Hope to try it soon, myself.

wafi

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 01:17:17 PM »
HOPOIL yes i mean rennet = yeast for cheese.