Author Topic: Pressed Cheeses - Crumbly & Dry Texture  (Read 3539 times)

rwingett

Pressed Cheeses - Crumbly & Dry Texture
« on: October 01, 2011, 12:18:50 PM »
I've been making cheese at home for about a year now. I've been making mostly different hard, waxed cheeses, using recipes from Ricki Carroll's "Home Cheese Making" and Debra Amrein-Boyes' "200 Easy Homemade Cheese Recipes". That went OK for a while, but I'm becoming increasingly dissatisfied with the way my cheeses are turning out. They all seem to be dry and excessively crumbly. Even the ones you would expect to have a creamier texture. I've got a wine cooler for a storage unit, with a humidity that I can't seem to get much over 60 percent. Don't know about PH levels and all that.

Not sure what to do next. Can anyone suggest any solutions, or recommend any good books that might be a step or two up from the ones I've mentioned?

linuxboy

Re: Pressed Cheeses - Crumbly & Dry Texture
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 02:22:20 PM »
Put a humidifer in to increase humidity.

Make a few cheeses that use approaches to mitigate crumbliness, such as gouda. Crumbliness is a pH or milk quality issue. Search the forums, we've had multiple book threads :).

smilingcalico

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 05:27:49 AM »
Yeah, I'm thinking it's an acidity issue, especially if your waxed cheeses are turning out the same way (since in wax they are protected from lower humidity.  My ageing space never gets over 60° RH and while my rinds get thicker, and the cheese does lose more moisture, I don't have a crumbly issue that you describe.  I'm making gouda, which as LB pointed out, helps mitigate the acidity factor.  One scenario that I can think of is maybe using a bit more culture than is necessary, coupled with not brining the cheese at the proper pH, so that pH continues to plummet before the brine.   Maybe you could post details of a specific make that could help narrow down where the issue is occurring.

rwingett

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 12:19:48 PM »
Yeah, I'm thinking it's an acidity issue, especially if your waxed cheeses are turning out the same way (since in wax they are protected from lower humidity.  My ageing space never gets over 60° RH and while my rinds get thicker, and the cheese does lose more moisture, I don't have a crumbly issue that you describe.  I'm making gouda, which as LB pointed out, helps mitigate the acidity factor.  One scenario that I can think of is maybe using a bit more culture than is necessary, coupled with not brining the cheese at the proper pH, so that pH continues to plummet before the brine.   Maybe you could post details of a specific make that could help narrow down where the issue is occurring.

Well, mostly I'm making recipes out of Ricki Carroll's book, using supplies I've gotten from her 'New England Cheesemaking Supply Co.' So I don't typically measure out the culture, it comes in pre-measured packets. I suppose I could "cut the apron strings", so to speak, and start tinkering with the amount of culture I add. If you think more culture would help, I'd certainly be willing to try it.

The pH, I guess, is the part I really don't get. What effects do varying pH levels have in a cheese and what steps can be taken to influence it? I guess I'd like to get a better grasp on this aspect of cheese making before I shell out for a pH meter.

Examples of two cheeses I've made from her book would be the Red Leicester (which has been my finest cheese to date) and the Monterrey Jack, which has been a cruel and bitter disappointment. It has left me wringing my hands and crying out to the cheese gods for mercy.

smilingcalico

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 05:33:30 PM »
If I remember, they are repackaging the cultures that they buy in bulk.  I don't know if they are accounting for the difference in cultural activity.  For an acidity issue like yours, you'd be using less culture.  It's the cultures that are eating up the lactose and converting it to lactic acid.  The rate of pH drop (lower pH = higher acidity) is a function of amount of culture, temperature, and even time.  The bacteria are reproducing every 20 minutes, so you can see the pH can drop fairly quickly if there's too much culture.  If they are at optimal temperature they are working super efficiently.  While cheeses do need to be allowed to sit before brining in order to continue building more acidity, too much time could be a cause of over acidification.  Remember, brining is going to significantly halt the progress of acidity, but if you've already passed the point, then it's like missing your exit ramp, except here you can't easily take the next one and double back.  Something I like to do is add the cultures when the milk is cold, then I don't have to wait the extra ripening time as suggested in many recipes.  I can't say if this is the best practice, but it works for me.    So, look at your recipes to see where or what factors you can change to keep acidity in check.  Also, best only to change one factor at a time to see it's affect, and not over do it.

ellenspn

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 07:02:49 PM »

Not sure what to do next. Can anyone suggest any solutions, or recommend any good books that might be a step or two up from the ones I've mentioned?

In this thread http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,7668.0.html

Sailor lists his recommended books.  I'm reading American Farmstead Cheese by Paul Kindsedt (and Peter Dixon) right now.  I think it might be the most technical of the list.

george

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 08:36:59 AM »
Well, mostly I'm making recipes out of Ricki Carroll's book, using supplies I've gotten from her 'New England Cheesemaking Supply Co.' So I don't typically measure out the culture, it comes in pre-measured packets. I suppose I could "cut the apron strings", so to speak, and start tinkering with the amount of culture I add. If you think more culture would help, I'd certainly be willing to try it.

If you're following the recipes from the book, use about half as much culture as called for.  I couldn't get decent cheeses following the book's measurements until I started using one packet for 3 or 4 gallons, not 2 gallons.  Each packet measures 1/2 tsp, so if you look around at other folks' recipes, you'll see what I mean.  Use half as much.  Even their own website recipes use one packet for 4 to 5 gallons!

Examples of two cheeses I've made from her book would be the Red Leicester (which has been my finest cheese to date) and the Monterrey Jack, which has been a cruel and bitter disappointment. It has left me wringing my hands and crying out to the cheese gods for mercy.

The book recipe is icky.  (technical term)  I gave up on Jack after my experiences with it when I first started making cheese, using Carroll's book.  I thought it was me.  Finally got around to trying it again, using 200 Easy Cheeses recipe, will find out in a few months how well it worked.  Major differences in the two recipes is that Carroll's book cuts to 1/4" and keeps stirring and setting and stirring and setting so it seems like there is way too much acidity going on there - as evidenced by the resulting cheeses of my failed efforts.  The recipe on the website seems to be a little closer, at least there the curd cut is 1/2", but I'm not sure about all the steps after that.  I pretty much don't use the Carroll book any more, except occasionally to compare recipes.  Too fraught with danger, methinks.   ;)

I'd recommend you also get 200 Easy Cheeses.  While there apparently are some issues with some of the recipes, it's not really widespread like it is in Carroll's book.  So far every recipe I've used out of 200 Easy has worked out really well for me.  Not that I'm biased or nuthin'.