Author Topic: Vacuum Containers for Cut Cheese  (Read 1866 times)

jawdog

Vacuum Containers for Cut Cheese
« on: October 03, 2011, 02:02:52 AM »
Would mold still grow on a cheese that has been cut and stored in a vacuum container?  I vac bag many of my cheeses.  Would it dry out quickly?

Thanks for your help.  John

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Re: Vacuum Containers for Cut Cheese
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 12:05:25 AM »
I have bought vacuum packed semi-hard cheeses from a deli before and i left it in the fridge for 6-7 months with no mold growth and with improved flavor. Branded cheeses, i've left for almost 2 years with no mold growth. Vacuum packing preserves moisture.

Tomer1

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 12:57:37 AM »
I think his asking about these plastic vaccum valve containers, not vaccum packs.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 07:25:54 AM »
I believe there are several threads about maintaining cheese in a vacuum bag. My experience is only with bags not vacuum-sealed containers. With some of my cheeses, I think the vacuum draws some of the residual moisture out of the cheese. The result is liquid between the cheese and the bag. Then again, perhaps the cheese retained too much whey.

I wouldn't expect it would be any different with a vacuum-sealed container, except that the liquid would not necessarily surround the cheese (as in the bag). The humidity would remain the same in either the bag or the container.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.