Author Topic: coils on the inside of cheese cave--problem resolved!  (Read 1083 times)

anutcanfly

coils on the inside of cheese cave--problem resolved!
« on: October 03, 2011, 06:36:11 PM »
I didn't have the benefit of the collective wisdom of this site when I chose my cave.   I got a small freezer with coils on the inside.  During late winter and spring this cave worked great!  Very easy to maintain temp around 50 and humidity at 85%.  Come the heat of summer...condensation!  Water was all over everything!  After many colorful words and a lot of head scratching I came to the conclusion that short of buying a different freezer there was nothing I could do about condensation.  So how could I work with it?  I made a plastic tent and hung it at the top.  This routes the water down the sides rather then dropping on my cheese.  But still you have the problem of the RH being at 99%. To resolve this I removed all water from the rest of the cave and put paper towels on top of the plastic tent.  This absorbs the condensation that drips down and gives me a way to control humidity.  When I want to lower it I just keep replacing the towels with dry ones each day.  If I need to increase the humidity and can wet the towels.  Not a ideal system, but it's working! 

Hope this info will help others with similar problems!