Author Topic: Camembert Overnight Coagulation > Lactic Curd Bloomy Cheese  (Read 1580 times)

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
Camembert Overnight Coagulation > Lactic Curd Bloomy Cheese
« on: October 04, 2011, 05:41:45 PM »
I have read the traditional recipe for making Cam, but was wondering (actually looking for oppinions) if I were to implement certain changes for the purpose of establishing an easier process (for me at least) would result in a similar outcome.
1. Rather than acidify with culture first then add rennet and wait for an hour or so to coagulate and then cut, I proceed similar to chevre (combine everything acidify overnight until 4.6 ph).

2. rather than cut, ladle directly into molds in layers.
3. Salt,  Flip a few times to drain
4. Spray the surface w/ PC and Geo
5. Place in cave

Will the texture vary?
When I make my St. Maure de Touraine, the process is that of chevre with only difference PC and Geo, yet the final texture is soft and creamy like a brie.
Just curious.
Thanks

linuxboy

Re: Camembert Overnight Coagulation > Lactic Curd Bloomy Cheese
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 05:50:36 PM »
Are you asking if you can make a lactic curd bloomy? Yes. It's not at all a camembert variation. It would be a lactic bloomy variation.

cheesequeen

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 04:32:55 AM »
Has any of you tried these experiment ? I like camb and would like to know the outcome from the experts.
Thank you.

Tomer1

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 12:37:13 PM »
It will have alot more moisture thats for sure, slightly more acidic perhaps depending on the messo culture since after ladling you will have to drain for another several hours so you end up with a very long total acidification time.
It will likely end up acidifying untill the ph stabilizes.
Even if it does "over acidify" alot of lactic acid will be matabolized\cunsumed by the PC during aging.

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 01:07:27 AM »
I guess it's worth a try, I am sure it will be consumed just like all other previous experiments.