Author Topic: Humidity!  (Read 1236 times)

chrisjmartin

Humidity!
« on: October 05, 2011, 03:12:44 AM »
I made my first try at a Stilton about 8 weeks ago. While the make went well, I've run into serious humidity problems and would appreciate advice on what can be done.
The problems arise from trying to make this cheese in the desert in the summer, where our humidity typically runs below 20% outside. It's better inside, of course, all the way up to 40% most of the time.
After letting the cheese sit at room temp (about 76 F) for 2 days, it looked like it was drying out so I put a water tray under it, and left it for another 2 days. Plenty of mold growth, but it still seemed dry. Moved it to the cave (a wine refrigerator) at 55F, where I keep a water tray to try to keep the humidity up, but don't really know where it is. After about 4 weeks, mold growth seemed to stop and the cheese seemed really dry. At 6 weeks I put it in a Tupperware container with water on the bottom and cheese elevated, and covered it lightly. I've been turning it every 3 or 4 days.
At this point, 3 weeks later, it seems a little more moist, and after 2 weeks it developed a new white mold spot, so there's some good coming from the new treatment.
So, where do I go from here? I understand typical minimum aging time for Stilton is 3 months. Did drying it out cancel some of that time? Should I go longer? Anything else I can do that might help this out?
I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Re: Humidity!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 10:09:55 PM »
Why not open it? cut a small piece and give it a try? Why wait for it to become inedible because of over aging? Dont give too much stock in recipes and aging times. Use your own judgement, if the cheese looks like is not going to last any longer, its better to eat it now than wait for it to spoil or dry out or whatever.  I can make a fake Stilton and age it for 1 month and still get good flavor and veining. Whenever i make my blue cheese, i only age it 40 days tops because mine is made from 5-6 litres of milk and i think its the right age to get good flavor. Maybe if your using  24 litres of milk or more, you can age it longer, ofcourse high humidity (90-95%) is important. FYI, aging cheese for a longer time wont automatically make it better, theres too many variables to consider. A young terrible tasting cheese wont improve with age that i can assure you.