Author Topic: Cambozola for the 4th time!  (Read 5558 times)

cheesequeen

Re: Cambozola for the 4th time!
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 02:56:16 AM »
Congrats looks gorgeous!

cheesequeen

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 03:06:22 AM »
Hi,did you dilute the geo and pcn culture in water first before applying with damp sponge? or just dip and dab the geo and pcn all over the cheese after the 4th day?
When I make my camembert I directly put the geo and pcn in milk. But I have not done blue cheese before. I see why you did it this way, the blue culture first and it turned out better. I will try this technique once my blue culture arrives. I even thinking of applying ash?? Any comments from the experts?
Thanks 8)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 05:35:37 AM »
Oops!  Just realized referring to my cheese as a female might have been offensive.  Me being a girl, you would think I would be more sensitive!  :-[  I totally apologize to anyone I may have offended!
Am I blushing?  ;)

So, okay, I'm a guy...does that mean I need to refer to my cheeses as being quite the stud, etc.?  8)

Really nice cheese. Now, where are those crackers?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

anutcanfly

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 06:03:39 PM »
A masculine cheese?  :-\  Well yes that could be...  The B. Linen ripened cheeses have to be male.  Ladies never make bad smells!  A)

anutcanfly

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2011, 06:24:19 PM »
Hi Cheesequeen,

No I didn't rehydrate it first.  I applied it the same way I do salt.  Just sprinkled it on and gently rubbed it in with a damp sponge.  If you do it the way I did, remember your cheese is very vulnerable in those days before you add the white mold.  Be sure everything is sterile and stays that way!  I've used ash on goat brie, but not on cow brie.  Can't think of any reason you couldn't.  Good luck!  :)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2011, 06:50:21 AM »
A masculine cheese?  :-\  Well yes that could be...  The B. Linen ripened cheeses have to be male.  Ladies never make bad smells!  A)
See, I am blushing.   And I do enjoy a smelly washed-rind cheese.  ;)

No, I think I'll just be safe and leave gender out of my cheeses.  8)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Necol

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2011, 11:41:39 PM »
Hi Cheesequeen, 
I'm also making a blue-brie-ish cheese. But I covered it in ash. It's my first attempt. I wanted to know 3 things, one: do you wrap your goat Bries with ash? and two how long did you keep your cheese wrapped before you tried it? By the way it looks beautiful! and three: what was you ripening temp and humidity level?

Thanks and congrats on your cheese it really looks great!

anutcanfly

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2011, 05:38:06 PM »
Hi Necol,

I wrap all my bloomy rind cheeses (including ones covered in ash) after the white molds completely cover the cheese.  The cheeses I just made took 13 days to get to that point.  They took about 22 days from date of manufacture.  So yes, they matured a little faster than normal, but that's normal for mine and so I always check a week early.  My cave has been averaging a temp of 52 degrees and the humidity has between 80 and 90%.  I keep them isolated in their own ripening box within my cheese cave, so the humidity in their mini cave is controlled separately from the main cave.  I remove excess moisture from their box the first few days and after that they just need to be flipped daily.  Once they are wrapped they they leave their mini cave and join the other cheeses in the big cave until they are ripe.

Also, if you are using G. candidum along with P. candidum, the first white mold to appear is G. candidum.  It's shorter and harder to see ( at least it is for me, my eyes aren't so good).  A few days after that P. Candidum will start appear.  It's longer and easy to see.  Don't wrap until P. Candidum covers the cheese.  In your case, as you are using ash, it will be easy to see the development of the white molds.

Happy thoughts,
Anut

Necol

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2011, 11:31:08 PM »
Thanks Anut!
Just one more question! What kind of wrapping do you use?  ^-^

anutcanfly

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2011, 12:07:45 AM »
Hi again Necol,

I use "two ply cheese wrap for mold ripened cheeses".  I ordered mine thru New England Cheese Making Supply Co., but you should be able to find it anywhere cheese supplies are sold.  It's designed to let the cheese breath without losing moisture. 

Goodluck!  :)

Necol

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2011, 02:17:21 AM »
Thanks once again! I live in Chile, South America so I hope I can find it!!

anutcanfly

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2011, 03:12:00 AM »
I'm running Cambozola #5 with a few adjustments on the recipe for #4.  Forgot to take a picture today, but it's looking good.  I'll post the recipe with changes and pictures when it's finish ripening in a few weeks.   :)