Author Topic: Cut Curds Hand Squeeze Test - How & What Measuring?  (Read 3262 times)

anutcanfly

Cut Curds Hand Squeeze Test - How & What Measuring?
« on: October 06, 2011, 01:13:10 AM »
Help!  My pH meter stopped working (this is the second to go out in the last few months) and I don't yet have a feel for when the curds are ready to drain.  I have heard mention several times of the squeeze test: take a handful squeeze and they should stick together, but still be able to separate easily.  What I don't understand is how to tell where you are relative to that point.  What do curds feel like prior to that point and what do curds feel like it you're past that point.  I likely messed up the batch of caprino romano I just ran...I squeezed a handful and they stuck together well, but they didn't separate easily and I worried that it had shot past 6.2 and I drained it, possibly way to soon! :(

linuxboy

Re: Cut Curds Hand Squeeze Test - How & What Measuring?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 01:30:27 AM »
Romano is fine to drain a little earlier. It's inadequate cook (too much moisture) that's bad for romano.

The squeeze test has little to do with acidity because you're testing for the dryness first, and the pH second. You have to be extraordinary to be able to tell pH by squeeze test alone because curd adhesion and pH are not always 100% related.

Your pH should coincide with moisture level at drain. If it doesn't, then you need to adjust your culture rate or make process (temp schedule) to get it to fit. If something odd happens and pH is off, then you can drain earlier, or settle the curds to let acidity build up.

anutcanfly

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 03:18:35 AM »
Thank you!  :) That adds another piece to the puzzle.  No wonder nothing ever seemed consistent.  So the squeeze test is only to check moisture.  Any one have a pH meter that seems to last more than a month!  ::)

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 03:35:30 AM »
Not only, but also. Here's what I can gauge by feeling the curds,

- Moisture
- Relative acidity
- Case hardening issues
- Gel strength/elasticity
- Fusion potential

Generally, a curd "feels right" when ready. When switching between cheese families, it usually takes me 4-5 makes until I can remember all the details I'm looking for. Often, I will get moisture wrong for a few makes, especially moving from alpine to adjuncted gouda or pasta filata. Each cheese family has a personality.

Why did your previous meters fail? What was wrong with them?

anutcanfly

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 05:29:52 PM »
I have a Hanna with Temperature compensation (the $80 dollar one).  The first went out immediately.  The readings were very erratic the the display would not turn on at all.  Returned for replacement and the replacement last a little over a month before it also became erratic and the display went partly out, then all out.  :(

I started into hard cheeses by pretty much doing one 2 1b cheese of all different styles and letting them mature so I could assess problems before I started making larger wheels.  That may be why I am not getting a sense of what the curds should be like.  I should have concentrated on fewer styles at a time.  The confusion over what the squeeze test indicated was really adding to the confusion, as the pH didn't seem to match what I thought I was supposed to feel.  It's been a learning process just figuring out what notes to make so that 3 months later you have a record of the information you'll need to problem solve!

Thank you for your help!  :)

GParenteau

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 03:52:32 PM »
anutcanfly,

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you have had with your Hanna pH tester. Have you been using a cheese deposit cleaning solution after testing? It is possible that cheese particles are clogging the junction. Also, you may want to look into the Hanna HI99161N. This is a portable pH meter that is specifically designed for cheese and dairy products. If you are still having any mechanical issues please contact our tech department at 800-426-6287 x 34. They can also be emailed at - tech@hannainst.com.

I hope this helps...

-Gary

anutcanfly

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 04:11:47 PM »
Thank you for responding.  I talked to your tech department and the problem seems to be moisture is getting in the bottom and frying it.  The display goes weird then stops showing at all.  I went thru amazon for a replacement.  Hopefully this one will not do the same thing!  I will check out the HI99161N.

anutcanfly

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 08:30:02 PM »
Round two of grating cheeses I decided to use raw goat milk and TA only for the Romano I was making.  My ph meter went out and knowing that my last Romano was dry, I knew I was going to have to drain sooner.  Unfortunately, my pH meter went bad and not understanding the squeeze test, I drained too soon.  This cheese was supposed to yield 3 lbs.  It ended weighing 5 lbs!  I figured this cheese was a loss, but I thru in my cave with a note to test it in 2 months.  I cut into it today and what a nice surprise!   ;D  It was smooth and sliced beautifully!  The taste was slightly goaty with a mild tang, and nutty?  Hard to describe... but it was a very enjoyable young cheese!  Also, it melts great... finally I made a cheese that melts!!!  I thru it back in the cave and will test it at two month intervals.  This might be worth creating again--deliberately wrong.  What to name a happy accident?

dthelmers

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 08:34:37 PM »
What to name a happy accident?
How about Felice Incidente?

anutcanfly

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 09:21:35 PM »
That's a fun idea, Felice Incidente, I think I'll go with that name if the cheese continues to age nicely.  ;D

I'll post the make as well...

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 10:22:34 PM »
Where was it that it was supposed to be an accident? Looks like a winner to me.

Nice festiva name, Dave.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

anutcanfly

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 11:26:48 PM »
Accident? What accident?  I totally meant to do it that way!   8) 

When you make a 5 lb cheese out of four gallons of milk, I think it's fair to say that you missed your target moisture by a mile!  I think this cheese will be very tasty, but it's not the grating cheese it was supposed to be.  I did learn something very useful out of this, regarding moisture and meltability.  I'm very excited to try other cheeses in my cave that were a pound or more overweight for various reasons.  Waiting is hard!